Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
General Gov Spending 62% higher than similar towns
Per - Clear Gov - GENERAL GOVERNMENT PER CAPITA $272 62% THAN SIMILAR TOWNS RANKING: 90 out of 337 municipalities https://www.cleargov.com/massachusetts/middlesex/city/melrose/2017/expenditures/general-government/benchmarking?perperson=true&prefix=$&postfix...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2019 5:22pm
by Cut some of this
Benefits and withholding 38% higher than similar towns.
Per - Cleargov - BENEFITS AND WITHHOLDING ITEMS PER CAPITA $639 38% THAN SIMILAR TOWNS RANKING: 57 out of 335 municipalities https://www.cleargov.com/massachusetts/middlesex/city/melrose/2017/expenditures/benefits-and-withholding-items/benchmarking?perperso...
Views: 173   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2019 5:18pm
by Cut some of this
Lipper-G Is Wrong
K L-G is so full of herself and so dead wrong in her pompous statements. She apparently didn't know during the vote to put the override forward that she was referencing data on the "Visual Budget" that was three years out of date. But she wanted us to be impressed wi...
Views: 208   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 25, 2019 9:45pm
by Lip Service
ONE equals MAGA
"See...no I won’t No, I won’t move on. I live here. My kids go to school here. Just because you don’t want to adequately fund City services that shouldn’t be a reason for me to leave. If you really can’t afford $50/month, go use all tha...
Views: 324   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 25, 2019 7:27pm
by nope
If the Override Passes
If the override passes, I ask those of you who supported it to please take note of what actually happens to city services, especially the schools. I'm not talking to those of you who directly benefit such as certain city hall employees, you'll be reaping the benef...
Views: 447   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 25, 2019 9:31am
by VOTE NO
Is Melrose in debt? Can't pay its bills?
I keep hearing about severe "cuts to city services" but I don't understand this. Why would services need to be cut if there is no override? How are these services paid for now? Is Melrose in debt? I thought the bond rating was good? There was that study done a fe...
Views: 204   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 24, 2019 6:14pm
by Half truths
MFP
Medeiros: Taxpayers need unobstructed view
from the M Free Press: Opinion: Medeiros: Taxpayers need unobstructed view Posted at 12:40 PM Updated at 12:41 PM Submitted by Alderman Monica Medeiros. Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed $5.18 million tax over...
Views: 426   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 23, 2019 11:55am
by agree
Recession
Today’s Economic News is Concerning. Google “inverted yield curve signals recession”. Voting NO on the Override!
Views: 158   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 22, 2019 5:17pm
by Recession
More Scare tactics
I have an elderly parent who lives in the Levi Gould house. They had a meeting with the residents to discuss the override vote. They told these senior citizens that if they didn’t vote for the override that they would lose the Milano center among other things....
Views: 3858   Replies: 88
Last Post: Mar 21, 2019 10:53pm
by Insider?
Tornados Don’t Exist
I've been to Kansas multiple times. I've spent weeks at a time in Kansas, and not once have I seen a tornado. Fact is, tornadoes aren't real. It's a myth created by weathermen across the American midwest to keep the people living in fear. Weathermen are the true e...
Views: 176   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 21, 2019 7:24pm
by Typical
WHO WILL SPEAK FOR THE HOMEOWNER?
WHO WILL SPEAK FOR THE HOMEOWNER? The homeowner is the backbone of any community including Melrose. Too often, in my view, the homeowner is ignored, over-burdened or taken for granted by our politicians, school officials and city administrators. Whether it’s...
Views: 398   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 21, 2019 12:39pm
by Willie
Thoughts from a relatively newcomer
I'm a little confused. I heard and read about the 'wonderful' community Melrose is. But from an outsider looking in, it is hardly a "One Melrose". The political landscape is identical to the national one - sadly. Now we find out that threats and false identities are...
Views: 480   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 19, 2019 3:39pm
by All the news....
Maybe I just don't want to?
What if I CAN afford the additional cost of the override, but don't agree with it in substance or merit? Is it wrong to just NOT want to pay more taxes? I'm conflicted.... I don't spend my money foolishly, I don't by 3 and 4 dollar cups of coffee, I drive to the next...
Views: 261   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2019 7:16pm
by BOMBED WITH LIVE...
Melrose Taxpayers Alliance lying to businesses
Read Stephen’s Auto Body and Towing’s Facebook Post: “We were approached by someone who stated that the city of Melrose was trying to raise only commercial taxes for local businesses, but that person never specified it would be used towards the M...
Views: 284   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 15, 2019 12:36pm
by RE: Google
Frank Wright
What percentage of the BOA meetings does Frank Wright actually attend. He is NEVER there. Let someone who avtually wants the job do it. He needs a challenger or two. Ward 3 is not being represented.
Views: 228   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2019 12:21pm
by Let's have some...
Censorship?
There was an entire thread here about local businesses falling prey to sketchy, dishonest tactics by override opponents. It has completely disappeared. So much for a community dialogue.
Views: 410   Replies: 14
Last Post: Mar 15, 2019 6:19am
by Um, yeah...
It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019.
It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. Four weeks after the special election. Apparently the city doesn’t want residents to be thinking about the increase water& sewer rates as they head into the specia...
Views: 235   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 14, 2019 12:29pm
by Nothing special
MCG
Override comments
Kind of funny that citizens are beating each other up verbally on the FB community group about the pot shop downtown. Really nasty, but all comments turned off about override. Strange. Also does everyone know about the increase in water/sewer coming up end of April....
Views: 295   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 12, 2019 8:59pm
by (No)
family feud farce
Melrose politics on display at Memorial Hall “Family Feud” Illegitimate Gail shaking hands with Shamed Dolan Zwirko posting the unflattering photo on his twitter feed Thanks to all of them our City is a fiscal mess VOTING NO on April 2nd
Views: 295   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 10, 2019 1:08am
by Cam
Pot shop money
Zwirko in the patch today patting himself on the back for filing the most asinine order to earmark revenue from the pot shops to... you guessed it... the schools! There’s a nod to enforcement and substance abuse services on there so he doesn’t look like h...
Views: 826   Replies: 19
Last Post: Mar 9, 2019 3:12pm
by Retired LE
To those trolling this message forum trying to damage it
Recently there was a fake post from someone claiming to be an administrator, supposedly banning IP addresses of the offensive trolls who were trying to flood this message board. This fake administrator was banned, as were the IP addresses of the others trolling the b...
Views: 383   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 7, 2019 9:13pm
by Geezer
Downtown
Downtown Melrose is a mess. Buildings have rotting wood trim, ripped and dirty awnings and many need paint jobs. There are businesses who have seen significant decline in sales. When people parrot how our “Victorian Downtown is envied by everyone”, all I...
Views: 288   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 7, 2019 8:42am
by Individual 1
Flourishing Schools
Melorse schools are flourishing.. I didn’t say it the superintendent of Melrose did more than once!!! Why would we need an override? Vote no
Views: 215   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 28, 2019 8:08pm
by Melrose
Don
Mass Utility Bills Among Nation's Highest
Bye, bye Override. Melrose residents can't afford it. From Patch today. --- Massachusetts residents have some of the the highest utility bills in the U.S., dishing out an average of $469 a month for gas, electricity and related costs, according to a new report fro...
Views: 638   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 27, 2019 5:52pm
by Oy
Time for some real talk
I would encourage everyone in the Melrose Cares community to attend the Real Talk: Override discussion panel tomorrow (Thursday) night, 7PM at the Melrose High School Learning Commons. Show up, ask questions and let your voices be heard!
Views: 200   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2019 4:20pm
by Let's go Melros...
Reachng A New Low
Saw a list on the City website of "proposed" cuts for departments other than schools if the override fails. Remember that "proposed" can mean whatever you want it to mean, but one thing it doesn't mean is "actual". Could they City possibly being disingenuous? Talk ab...
Views: 731   Replies: 15
Last Post: Feb 20, 2019 7:56pm
by Paying our Way
Water and Sewer
I almost fell out of my chair when I got my last water and sewer bill, which was $640.44. What made it even worse was when I asked my two kids what theirs was I got the following: Amesbury - $31.22, and Wakefield - $127.90. At first I didn't believe it, then I figure...
Views: 699   Replies: 18
Last Post: Feb 17, 2019 12:40pm
by Too Much
Honey Dew
Hey! What happened to Honey Dew Donuts? I went down there to get my coffee this morning and the place is all boarded up. I was there yesterday afternoon and there was no indication whatsoever of a demise.
Views: 381   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 13, 2019 3:21pm
by Coffee
Melrose Gets What it Deserves
The gullible and intellectually lazy parents continue to lap up the administrative propaganda and get increasingly lathered about low teachers' salaries and all the other talking points for the latest override boondoggle. They will look the other way when intelligent...
Views: 3308   Replies: 74
Last Post: Feb 10, 2019 11:06pm
by Truth
Top paid
Every year in January a list of the cities highest paid makes the front page of the newspaper. Did I miss it this year or was it not there? Are they hiding it this year ahead of the override so residents don’t see the high salaries, think they’re overpaid...
Views: 914   Replies: 37
Last Post: Feb 10, 2019 9:52pm
by Luis
EASY CHOICE FOR CHAMBER
Endorsing an override as in the past would have been an easy choice for the Chamber. Better to have the taxpayers share a possible fiscal shortfall. Better not to have tax exempt properties payments for servicies questioned.
Views: 210   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 6, 2019 3:39pm
by Consider the sou...
The Melrose Taxpayers'
You can learn more in the coming weeks. The Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance will be educating you with accurate, factual information to help you make the right choice in the April 2nd election. This is an important vote, so be sure and make your decision based on facts,...
Views: 253   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 4, 2019 7:55pm
by Dad
Businesses in Trouble
Many downtown Melrose businesses are in trouble. As I shopped local over the weekend, I made a point of asking questions. Business revenue is way down all over downtown! Delayed construction projects and poor city planning is partly responsible. Melrose is no longer...
Views: 314   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 4, 2019 11:50am
by Or
Sense A Pattern?
https://www.localheadlinenews.com/lynnfield-center-water-district-rate-increase-sparks-fly-board-of-selectmen/
Views: 563   Replies: 12
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 3:41pm
by Concerned Melros...
Lemmerman Dark Side.
How JL could elevate “The Felon” to the status of Brodeur and Lewis is surprising. Excited to see that she was hosting a conversation with our State Senator and State Representative. We were leaning toward a YES Vote and intended to go to this gathering....
Views: 245   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 2:18pm
by Lemmerman Dark S...
Salary Comparisons
Hoping that the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance will do a comparison chart of starting salaries for Melrose Firefighters and Melrose Police Officers compared to surrounding Cities and towns. What are the step raises for Public Safety employees in Melrose? How does Melr...
Views: 255   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 9:28am
by Facts and Figure...
Pot shops
At the risk of daring think there is more to this towns politics than the override What about the pot shops? Where should they be? Ward 5 hypocrisy in not wanting one there, or fair points about sharing the burdens (though after the initial rush of traffic, most rese...
Views: 527   Replies: 17
Last Post: Feb 1, 2019 2:21pm
by resident
The news is dieing and how to fix it
The past 15 years have brought us the collapse of the U.S. auto industry, the death of American manufacturing, and the groundwork for a movement of automation that is poised to wipe out an entire class of low-wage workers. However, nothing has hit this country quite...
Views: 306   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 31, 2019 9:55pm
by Opinion
Line Item City Budget?
Is there a line item city budget available to the public? Not the virtual budget. Rather a line item budget that details all the revenue, expenses and other?
Views: 1403   Replies: 58
Last Post: Jan 31, 2019 9:30pm
by Biofreeze
Using the College Students for Votes
There appears to be an effort to get the city's living away at college population to vote yes on the override. Obviously this is done to counter all the no votes that the last override received. To turn the numbers in the yes' favor because so many people said no the...
Views: 442   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 27, 2019 1:39am
by Never Answered
Infurna’s RE Taxes
Just went on the City of Melrose Assesment page to check what Gail Infurna pays for her Real Estate Taxes. She is demanding the rest of us (who make far less than she does) to make a decision to pay more RE taxes for the Override. Who owns the condo she lives in at 1...
Views: 390   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 18, 2019 10:30am
by GI
Ben Franklin Quotes
Geezer got me googling Ben Franklin quotes. Here are a few from American History Central: “Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done mu...
Views: 415   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 4:49pm
by Wow
Don't Use METCO as Budget Scapegoat
This excellent post was on the School side (in response to a very flawed posting by "Real Facts" that suggested METCO creates $800,000+ cost to Melrose--NOT true!), but deserves fuller representation regarding city governance: Dear Real Facts, If you're looking...
Views: 174   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 12:46pm
by Okay to Vote No
One Melrose Trouble
Uncertainty and anxiety is increasing as the Government Shutdown continues with no end in sight. The Stock Market fluctuations, political shenanigans and the manipulation of facts and data by local and national politicians is very worrying for One Melrose. One of the...
Views: 535   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 9:41am
by Curious
Turnoff
The MCG page turned off the Comment section regarding Infurna’s Override speech. Yes is in trouble and nervous.
Views: 247   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 9:00am
by No Comment
State Of The City
Is that what that was? I thought it was about 90% stumping for an override.
Views: 281   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 15, 2019 10:19pm
by Say What?
Huge Melrose budget surpluses
Since GI never tells anybody this, so it's important to know that Melrose each year has HUGE budget surpluses. They call it "free cash", but it's really a budget surplus. Here are the surpluses for the past few years: FY18 - $3.5M FY17 - $2.2M FY16 - $4.3M FY15...
Views: 276   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 15, 2019 9:00pm
by Melrose
Sam and Rob
Sam Hammar and Rob Dolan teamed up to host college kids for an Override Forum. Dolan surfacing to promote One Melrose, YES is interesting. The details of his disgraced exit is widely known and certainly won’t be welcomed by the Lincoln School PTO. Did SH get a...
Views: 837   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jan 14, 2019 6:38pm
by Absolutely
So Much Hypocrisy, No on Override
As a Melrosian who cares about our community, I find the whole override presentation very troubling. It is business as usual for the lifer pols in this town, those who refuse to hold our school administration and school committee accountable for grievous misconduct,...
Views: 1134   Replies: 27
Last Post: Jan 10, 2019 8:01am
by Concerned Melros...
First Poll Results for Melrose Override
Based on a random sample of 1,000 Melrose Residents. Conducted during period from 1/2/2019 through 1/9/2019. Demographics: Homeowners: 752 Renters: 248 (D): 686 (R): 236 (Did not Identify): 78 Aggregated Results: “Yes” - 67.5% “No&#...
Views: 324   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 9, 2019 11:24pm
by Really??
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10