596 Canyon Rd. Box 801
Lyle, WA 98635 USA

For all other communications, please use this address:
lbeckart@clicktracs.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Increase Sales Using Testimonials

By Loren Beckart
http://ClickTracs.com

When marketing online, the use of endorsements and testimonials is especially important. The prospect reads or hears a third party saying, "Yes, this product is real and it is a good value because I got the results I wanted." The online shopper is reassured. Your prospect starts to believe in the reality of your offer when they see that others have been pleased by their decision to buy from you.

When someone with celebrity (in general, or within a specific industry) says, "I put my reputation behind my recommendation of this product," you have an endorsement.
Endorsements are very powerful because prospects generally trust the opinion of someone they perceive as familiar. So, it is worth the effort to use any connections you might have to get an endorsement for your service or product.

The power of testimonials stems from a different strength.
Testimonials offer proof that other people have tried your product and were happy with the results. A testimonial suggests that when the prospect buys that product, their results will be similar, and they will be happy, too.

A useful testimonial includes these things: Both first and last names. If you've ever read one where only the first name and last initial is given, (e.g. Barbara P.), what was your response? It strikes a suspicious note, as if the testifier would prefer to be anonymous. The full name is much more believable. If possible, enhance the effect by including state, city, type of business or business name.

The testimonial should be short and focused on something specific. It should be about measurable results whenever possible.

For example, "Her writing advice was great, and I enjoyed having her help getting published," gives no real information. But, "My coaching practice expanded to include seminars and group events as a result of her help with getting published. Now, my income has doubled even though I'm working fewer hours than ever," indicates specific and desirable results.

If you have no testimonials because you have either: 1) never asked for them; 2) neglected to keep positive comments; or 3) have a new product, here are some ways to get testimonials.

Give the product away to interested parties, and tell them you would like a testimonial if they feel they could give you honest support. Make it no-strings-attached so that you get a heartfelt testimonial. This is very different than
*exchanging* a fr`ee trial for a testimonial.

Ask for feedback from people who have already used your product. Any feedback you get that is positive but not specific, make contact again and ask for more specific information.

Also, if someone sends you something good but it needs editing, then edit it, send it back, and ask if the changes you've made (for brevity, for clarity, for professional grammar, etc.) meet with their approval. Don't use the edited version unless approved.

If you have been collecting testimonials, you might have an excess that makes it hard to choose. In that case, select according to these guidelines:
A. Top benefits: do you have short testimonials that support or prove them?
B. Results: do you have testimonials that tell about specific and measurable results?

There is no magic number of testimonials to use. Just remember that more isn't always better. You want to keep the reader moving through your sales information, so use the testimonials to support but not distract from your main purpose. Remember, the focus of your copy should always be on the product and its benefits for the prospect.

Author and Marketing Consultant Loren Beckart is Vice President at ClickTracs
Advertising Service
. For access to additional articles, visit www.ClickTracs.com , a leading resource on the subject of on-line marketing.