Return to Website

Welcome to Kyle's Smile! Forum

Welcome to Kyle's Smile! Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
10/31/06 KYLE UPDATE - SF Chronicle Update Story

There are also blessings to share with you....no time right now. It's crazy busy here. Running from one appointment to another etc. All is well so far, we are learning a lot. When I can put together a few more moments together, I will give you a more detailed update. God Bless!!

Here is a follow up story from the San Francisco Chronicle:

------------------------------------------------------

MONTEREY
Cancer patient, 8, off to Midwest for possible marrow transplant
Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kyle Wetle, the 8-year-old cancer patient from Monterey whose plight became public when his puppy was stolen last month, will board a plane to Minnesota on Sunday in hopes of receiving a bone marrow transplant.

The prospect of the transplant provides a glimmer of hope for Kyle and his family, who received disappointing results from Kyle's most recent chemotherapy. Then came another blow -- his mother, Katrina Wetle, was diagnosed with a rare cancer.

Still, the trip is bittersweet: Doctors remain unsure whether Kyle has beaten back the cancer enough to make the transplant worthwhile. Without it, he will most likely die within six months.

The trip, which is necessary because of where the donor lives, also will split up the Wetles, with Kyle's 15-year-old brother, stepfather and infant twin siblings remaining in Monterey.

Kyle, who has been fighting acute lymphoblastic leukemia for five years, made headlines in September when his dog, Chemo, was snatched from the family car while the boy was undergoing chemotherapy at UCSF. After public pleas, the boy was reunited with the Chihuahua puppy four days later.

There have been no arrests in the case.

At the time, the Wetle family was celebrating the recent discovery of a marrow donor and waiting for Kyle to complete his latest round of chemotherapy.

But the treatment wasn't as effective as doctors had hoped, which delayed the potentially lifesaving transplant. Then, about a month ago, Kyle was exposed to chicken pox, jeopardizing his health and pushing the transplant back further.

And then Katrina Wetle was diagnosed with cancer.

Kyle's family is trying to remain hopeful.

"If he gets the transplant, it will buy us time, but they say he may relapse within six months anyway," said Katrina Wetle. "We just feel like we're not ready to give up yet."

Wetle has been diagnosed with gestational trophoblastic disease, a rare cancer that develops in the uterus immediately after a woman conceives a child. The cancer is treatable in all cases and in most can be completely cured, according to the American Cancer Society.

Wetle said she plans to be treated at the University of Minnesota with Kyle.

"We're just plugging away," she said. "I am not really concerned (about my cancer) -- I'm only concerned if it takes time away from Kyle."

His physician, Dr. Mignon Loh, said she is optimistic despite the odds.

"The chances are slim he will be cured by the transplant," said Loh, a doctor with UCSF's Children's Hospital cancer and blood diseases program. "But he's in great shape, he's a strong kid, and he has a superb attitude, a tremendous amount of energy and a tremendous amount of will. If anybody is able to conquer this, he has a chance."

The family has been raising money to pay for Kyle's treatment through a Web site, www.kylessmile.org. Wetle also is asking for donations of airline miles.

Kyle's father, Tony Jackson, also has written, produced and recorded a song that he is selling on CD to raise money for his son's medical care.

The song is available for a $5 donation plus a $2 shipping and handling fee through Grace Community Church, at 4001 Lincoln Way E., Mishawaka, IN 46544. The church can be reached at (574) 257-8579.

E-mail Marisa Lagos at mlagos@sfchronicle.com.

Page B - 3