Aggie Alumni Forum

If you are posting details about Reunions PLEASE email aggiealumni@comcast.net to make sure it gets on the reunion page. PLEASE contact us immediately if there is something inappropriate that needs to be removed.

Aggie Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grieves would 'teach for free' if he could

There was an article on Mr. Grieves in the South Lyon Herald for the last week of March 2007 (click to read website)

Chris '92

Article published Mar 29, 2007

Grieves would 'teach for free' if he could

By Nathan Mueller
STAFF WRITER

This is the second in a three-part series about teachers in the South Lyon Community Schools district who were nominated for Oakland County Teacher of the Year.

Richard Grieves was in first grade when he realized he was going to be a teacher.

He was helping his classmates with their reading assignment when his teacher, Sister Mary, said the virgin Mary was touching him on the shoulder to teach.

Fast forward to today, and Grieves is a 21-year veteran, in his 11th year teaching English and Classical Literature and Thought at South Lyon High School.

"I constantly tell students if I could afford to teach for free I would," he said. "I was born to teach."

And his effect on the students and community earned him the nomination for the Oakland County Outstanding Teacher of the Year. The award will be presented April 19, and Grieves is up against other high school teachers across Oakland County.

Grieves said when he heard he had been nominated by Assistant Principal Mitch Rosekrans he almost passed out.

"My initial reaction was utter shock and disbelief," he said. "I am not into teaching for rewards, I am so busy every day I don't think about accolades. It also was very humbling because there are so many worthy teachers in this building."

But of all those worthy teachers Grieves stood out because of his "passion for every child that enters his classroom," Rosekrans said.

"Students thrive in his class because he is so motivated toward the subject matter he teaches," Rosekrans said. "He sees potential in every student."

Grieves sees that potential because he follows a philosophy that was told to him many years ago. "Remember you teach students, not subjects."

And because of that, students are attracted to his way of teaching.

Rosekrans said he is a true professional who tries to incorporate real world experience into his daily instruction and has high daily expectations. Those demands start at 6 a.m. when the school doors open and he is in his classroom, and don't stop when the school day is over. His goal each day is to challenge the student's minds.

"I don't water down the truth with kids," he said. "I think students understand I will give them a fair shake. We agree to disagree."

Out of the classroom, Grieves is a master musician on the bagpipes. His mother was from Scotland and his dad bought him bagpipes when she died. He recently played at the South Lyon High School Variety Show on Feb. 2.

For the multitalented Grieves, he still gets his best joy from watching his students in the classroom.

"I love to see young minds trying to seize new ideas," he said.

He plans watch students in South Lyon do that until he retires, and if he were to win the award for Teacher of the Year, he wouldn't accept it on his own behalf.

"If I won, I would accept it in honor of all the great teachers who have been models for me," he said. "It is privilege for me to be allowed to teach young people."

Nathan Mueller is a reporter for the South Lyon Herald. He can be reached at (24 437-2011, or by e-mail at nmueller@gannett.com.