Support Our Survivors Discussion Forum

Please join the message forum discussions.

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
If you are looking for a KIA/MIA or veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima, post your inquiry here

Maybe you are looking for information about a father, grandfather, uncle, relative or friend. Are you looking for someone who knew them or fought beside them? Are you looking for someone from the same division or ship?

Give as much information about them here that you can and lets hope someone will answer you.

Good luck!

Re: If you are looking for a KIA/MIA or veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima, post your inquiry here

Posted 3/9/10

Kenneth W. Smith writes:

“My father was in the invasion. He is now 86 years old, living in St. Petersburg, FL.” He would like to make contact with any Survivors from his outfit. His father's information is:

Kenneth F. Smith
Cpl. U.S.M.C.
4th Marine Division
"B" Company
1st Batallion
23rd Marines

Please respond to Kenneth at golf101101@tampabay.rr.com

Re: If you are looking for a KIA/MIA or veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima, post your inquiry here

When I was a small child, I had a neighbor who sometimes told me a story about Iwo Jima. The last battle on Iwo took place on March 26, 1945. A unit of airmen had recently come in & had a tent encampment there. Iwo had been declared secure at the time & the men were on a special mission. They were due to fly to Japan. At 5am Japanese emerged from their underground cave hideouts & overran the tent encampment where the airmen were sleeping. I guess Marines were around & a pitched battle ensued in which the airmen fought back.

At the end, according to what little items I have found on the Internet, 196 out of 200 Japanese attackers were killed. I don't know how many Americans died. However, the air mission was aborted as six of the airmen were MIA after this battle, including their second in command, a Major. Their Colonel was elsewhere during the battle. I had the impression these airmen were specially trained. There is no information about them I can find. I have read on the Internet that this is the only land battle technically, that airmen fought during WWII.

My neighbor knew the Major but I don't remember him ever saying his name. Does anyone have information on these airmen, especially their Major? From what I remember of the story, this Major was about 30 years old & a military careerist. My neighbor said this Major had been at Hickam Field during the Pearl Harbor attack. I don't know what his rank was at that time, but I guess he must have been a bomber pilot among other things & part of the then, Army Air Corps. Thank-you for any information.

Best Wishes! mdragalin@att.net

Email  

I forgot to mention, regarding the previous message I sent on the airmen's battle on Iwo Jima, that my neighbor thought the Major's hometown was San Diego. Thanks again!

mdragalin@att.net

Email  

My great uncle, LCPL Robert "Bob" Hartman, 23rd Marines, was killed on Iwo Jima, but I have little details about him. I have several pictures of him and friends that I would like to post somewhere, perhaps they will assist someone else as well.
Thank you for any assistance.
Sincerely,
Heather

Email  

My Father, PFC James J. O'Connor, was killed 02/21/45 on Iwo Jima. He served in Company "K", 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Divison. I am looking for anyone who served with him. I am also looking for his best friend he served with, John L. Oberdorf who made it out. Please contact me! Thank You!

Email  

My Uncle Floyd {Chuck} Vaughn fought with the Marines at Iwo Jima and survived. I don't know which unit he was with. If anyone remembers him I would love to find out any information I can. Thanks. God Bless you all.

Email  

Your uncle was probably an E-3 Corporal. The Marine Corps didn't add Lance Corporal until the late 1950's. Thank you for his service.
Joe Wallace
USMC

I have a friend, Emanuel "Manny" Bud, who served with 4th Marine Division. Manny was a combat engineer, and was WIA ON 3/6/1945. He was medivaced to Guam on 3/7/1945.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com