Clark's Company Message Board

Welcome!  This is a public forum for all to use.  Please post questions and discuss 18th century topics.

Clark's Company Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
some research stuff

I kicked up some primary stuff on Dunmore's War & an attack on a Virginia/Kentucky party returning for reprovision from Ft. Pitt in 1776. Lots of clothing & equipment descriptions. It came from Volume II of Howe's 1846 History of Ohio. If it's not old hat, who in the company would I send it to? What format is easiest?
Thanks-
Dave

Re: some research stuff

Dave,

I would love to see what you have found!! Sounds really interesting. You can email it to me in Rich Text Format (I do not have Word on this dinosaur) If you would like it posted on the website for information than send it to Ms. Cindy Clark. I believe you can send it to her in Word. She is the webmaster here and will be able to post it.

Thanks Again!

Great to have you aboard.

I Remain,
YHMOS
Tom Landefeld

Tom I have several sets of Howes if you want to read the set.

Dave,
Thankss! You can send it to me at: rich@clarkscompany.com

Buzz,
I'm interested in reading them.

Thanks
Rich

Buzz

If you've got a ruined copy of Volume I, I 'd love to get it. Give me a quote. Either later or earlier editionis fine. Since my Volume II is already thrashed & red-rotted out, it doesn't pay for me to have a good copy. One of these days....
Thanks, Dave

From Henry Howe Historical Collections of Ohio 1904 Edition pages 325-327
Capitalized phrases are my highlights- DDB
[quoting from Reminiscences of Abraham Thomas- pub in Troy, Ohio Times newspaper 1839]
re: Dunmore's 1774 campaign-

"The collected force consisted of four hundred men. I was often at their encampment; and against the positive injunction of my parents, could not resist my inclination to join them. At this time I was eighteen years of age, owned my own rifle and accoutrements and had long been famailiar with the use of them. Escaping, I made the best possible provision I could from my own resources and hastened to enter as a volunteer under old Mike, then Captain Cresap.

The plan of the expedition was for every man to cross the Ohio with seven days'provision IN HIS PACK. The object was to attack the Indians in their villages at Wapatomaca. Some were on the waters of the Muskingum. On the first or second days' march after crossing the Ohio we were overtaken by a Colonel McDonald, a British officer, who highly incensed the troops by ordering a halt for three days, during which we were consuming our provisions. While lying here a violent storm through the night wet our arms and McDonald ordered the men to discharge them into a hollow log to deaden the report. My rifle would not go off and I took the barrel out to unbreech it. In doing this I made some noise in beating it with my tomahawk, on which McDonald came towards me swearing, with an uplifted cane, threatening to strike. I instantly rose on my feet with the rifle barrel in my hand and stood in an attitude of defence. We looked each other in the eye for some time; at last he dropped his cane and walked off, while the whole troop set up a laugh, crying, "The boy has scared the Colonel." Cressap heard what was going on and approached to defend me, but seeing how well I could defend myself stood by, smiling at the fracas. The colonel, having no reputation as an Indian fighter was very naturally disliked by Cressap and the men.
[I'm going to skip some detailed combat that goes here]

Benefit of Tobacco-

By this time the camp was nearly out of provisions, with a three days march before them. A small quantity of old corn and one cow were the entire spoils of the villages. Those were distributed among the men , the villages burned, and the troops immediately commenced their march for the Ohio River, where they expected to meet provisions sent down from Redstone. The men became exceeding famished on this march and myself being young, was so weak that I could no longer carry anything on my person. An older brother and one or two others kept encouraging me. One of them had a good stock of tobacco. I saw him take it and with an earnestness bordering on delirium insisted on having some. As I had never used it before they refused, thinking it would entirely disable me; but as I was so importunate they at last gave me a small piece. I directly felt myself entirely relieved. They gave me more and in a short time my spirits and strength returned. I took my arms and baggage, and was able to travel with the rest of them, and was actually the first to reach the Ohio.

Here we met the boats, but nothing in them but corn on the ear. EVERY MAN WAS SOON AT WORK WITH HIS TOMAHAWK, CRUSHING IT ON THE STONES AND MIXING IT WITH WATER IN GOURDS OR LEAVES FASHIONED IN THE SHAPE OF CUPS, WHILE SOME PROVIDENT ONES ENJOYED THE ARISTOCRATIC LUXURY OF TIN CUPS; but all seemed alike to relish the repast. A party of us crossed the Ohio that day for the settlement, when we came upon a drove of hogs in tolerable order. We shot one and ate him on the spot without criticising with much nicety the mode or manner or preparation. Indeed the meat was so savory and delicious we thought of little else. In a few days I returned to my parents, and after a little domestic storming and much juvenile vaunting of our exploits, settled down to clearing."

From Henry Howe Historical Collections of Ohio 1904 Edition pages 325-327
Capitalized phrases are my highlights- DDB
[quoting from Reminiscences of Abraham Thomas- pub in Troy, Ohio Times newspaper 1839]
re: Dunmore's 1774 campaign-

"The collected force consisted of four hundred men. I was often at their encampment; and against the positive injunction of my parents, could not resist my inclination to join them. At this time I was eighteen years of age, owned my own rifle and accoutrements and had long been familiar with the use of them. Escaping, I made the best possible provision I could from my own resources and hastened to enter as a volunteer under old Mike, then Captain Cresap.

The plan of the expedition was for every man to cross the Ohio with seven days'provision IN HIS PACK. The object was to attack the Indians in their villages at Wapatomaca. Some were on the waters of the Muskingum. On the first or second days' march after crossing the Ohio we were overtaken by a Colonel McDonald, a British officer, who highly incensed the troops by ordering a halt for three days, during which we were consuming our provisions. While lying here a violent storm through the night wet our arms and McDonald ordered the men to discharge them into a hollow log to deaden the report. My rifle would not go off and I took the barrel out to unbreech it. In doing this I made some noise in beating it with my tomahawk, on which McDonald came towards me swearing, with an uplifted cane, threatening to strike. I instantly rose on my feet with the rifle barrel in my hand and stood in an attitude of defence. We looked each other in the eye for some time; at last he dropped his cane and walked off, while the whole troop set up a laugh, crying, "The boy has scared the Colonel." Cressap heard what was going on and approached to defend me, but seeing how well I could defend myself stood by, smiling at the fracas. The colonel, having no reputation as an Indian fighter was very naturally disliked by Cressap and the men.
[I'm going to skip some good ***** fighting stuff that goes here]

Benefit of Tobacco-

By this time the camp was nearly out of provisions, with a three days march before them. A small quantity of old corn and one cow were the entire spoils of the villages. Those were distributed among the men , thew villages burned, and the troops immediately commenced their march for the Ohio River, where they expected to meet provisions sent down from Redstone. The men became exceeding famished on this march and myself being young, was so weak that I could no longer carry anything on my person. An older brother and one or two others kept encouraging me. One of them had a good stock of tobacco. I saw him take it and with an earnestness bordering on delirium insisted on having some. As I had never used it before they refused, thinking it would entirely disable me; but as I was so importunate they at last gave me a small piece. I directly felt myself entirely relieved. They gave me more and in a short time my spirits and strength returned> I took my arms and baggage, and was able to travel with the rest of them, and was actually the first to reach the Ohio.

Here we met the boats, but nothing in them but corn on the ear. EVERY MAN WAS SOON AT WORK WITH HIS TOMAHAWK, CRUSHING IT ON THE STONES AND MIXING IT WITH WATER IN GOURDS OR LEAVES FASHIONED IN THE SHAPE OF CUPS, WHILE SOME PROVIDENT ONES ENJOYED THE ARISTOCRATIC LUXURY OF TIN CUPS; but all seemed alike to relish the repast. A party of us crossed the Ohio that day for the settlement, when we came upon a drove of hogs in tolerable order. We shot one and ate him on the spot without criticising with much nicety the mode or manner or preparation. Indeed the meat was so savory and delicious we thought of little else. In a few days I returned to my parents, and after a little domestic storming and much juvenile vaunting of our exploits, settled down to clearing."

Dave I have one or two volume twos I will try to find a first volume for you. Buzz