Return to Website

The Capreolonline Forum

Welcome to our new forum. Feel free to post a message. Please treat this forum with civility and respect for the opinion of others. If you don't state your name your opinion is worthless.

The Capreolonline Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Via Rail

Now that Via is not running a train from Toronto to Winnipeg, does anyone know how campers and home owners, without road access are getting to their residents?

With Via looking into running on CP lines along lake Superior, are they obligated to run a local service on the northern CN lines?

Re: Via Rail

Just a bit history...Trudeau Liberals destroyed the Passenger business. Capreol had 4 psgr trains a day...Trudeau ran it in the ground and moved the Psgr business over to the CPR . CPR being privately owned (SHARE HOLDERS)taxpayers paid CPR to upgrade the tracks...In the mean time CN had a small mini train..If I remember right to Nakina and return the next day...
Mulroney got in and moved the train back to CN bought new locomotives , got rid of steam heat and built new stations...I think 3 trains a week....
Trudeau also destroyed all the pasgr units that had served Canada so well by lack of maintenance..
Trudeau also tried to prevent all stops at camps etc but public outcry allowed the stops to continue...little by little they aggravated every one with regulations...can't take this , can't take that ..too heavy etc...
Then 48 hours notice was needed if you wanted to go to the camp..I was told recently that they wouldn't stop in the summer months , Now they run 14,000 ft freight trains and the Pasgr can't make the time or keep the schedule .
Imagine sitting by the track -30 C or in fly time for hours with no idea if the train is even coming..
Gone are the days when on 1st fishing or Moose season there was only standing room at Capreol station. Many times coaches were added...
It's election year and public outcry should be loud and clear if we want any kind of service...

Residence Capreol

But isn't there a Conservative government in power at the moment ...

CN is now private enterprise..A Canadian Diamond raped and sold by the Chretien LIBERALS for chump change for a mere $2 Billion. Now it's the shareholder who has to be satisfied so anything goes to get an expectable return...Maintenance is at a minimum and if anything happens , the big boys brush it off saying it is the COST of doing business..
Now we have had had 2 Oil Train disasters and the Politicians have to take notice and do something..The public is very concerned...I understand the track is in questionable condition and that would be putting the VIA Safety in jeopardy.
Also the CONS have allowed trains longer than our sidings and VIA can't get by to stay reasonably on time...in many cases hours late...
Waiting times at our crossings , waiting for these monsters to clear are more than acceptable..Capreol yard tracks , I'm told are in deplorable condition and switches at 10 MPH still in this day and age..Just a month ago on CTV a tank lost a truck in the Capreol yard..
Another rumor , last summer CN rebuilt the to Switches at SUEZ and only put in 20 MPH turnouts...WHY not 30 MPH that close to a Highway crossing ? Also told the Suez Siding is only fit for 15 MPH..I've counted as many as 50 vehicles coming and going STOPPED at Suez waiting for a train to clear.
It's election year E-mail Minister of Transport LISA RAITT and your MP Claude Gravelle..Lisa.Raitt@parl.gc.ca; claude.gravelle@parl.gc.ca [:-

Residence Capreol

#2 leaving Vancouver tomorrow, #1 leaves TO Sat.

Residence .apreol