Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help me help Veterans

My story begins last summer when I happened on a picture of a 1968 Dodge Coronet. My grandparents had a 68 Coronet and some of the happiest memories of my childhood involved my grandparents and that car. When I saw the pictures it was like being transported back in time I was smiling from ear to ear! “Look at the picture of that front seat!” I yelled to my wife “I shot out of that passenger door like a cannonball when I was just a little boy!” You see my grandmother turned to sharp in the driveway on the farm where I grew up and, well it was the 1970’s so child restraint was suggested but, well you get the point. I came out of it just fine, although that might explain some of my behavior later in life? Anyways back to the story. I decided I was going to find a 68 Coronet and restore it for obvious sentimental reasons. I found one in Phoenix AZ. and towed a car trailer the 1500 miles one way to get it. About 6 hours of bumpy roads into my 24 hour drive I began to realize I may have made a huge mistake by not flying down. I picked up the car and began the long trip back to MN. Along the way I notice the usual people driving by checking out the dusty old girl. I never expected what was going to happen next.

I was getting gas at a station on the Arizona New Mexico border and at another pump a gentleman was filling up as well. He came over and proceeded to tell me how he had a car just like mine that he had purchased new when he came home from the service and all the fun he had with that car and how much fun he knew I was going to have with it. I don’t think you could get the smile off his face. We wished each other luck and off I went. The next stop I was talking with some folks about the car when a gentleman walked up explained to me how he had purchased a new Dodge Charger after he had returned home from Vietnam. I pulled over to a parking spot and we talked for the better part of an hour. He shared stories about cars, his experiences overseas he also gave me tips on the restoration. It was a great time! I thanked him for his service, he wished me luck and off I went. Each stop was more of the same, people asking about the car telling stories and taking pictures it didn’t matter what age they were the outcome was always the same, Huge Smiles!!! I was never so glad that I decided to set off on this 3000 mile 48 hours of driving adventure and I would do it all over again tomorrow!

Back home I was at the store where I ran into a Vietnam Veteran who told me he had one just like it back in the day. We talked cars and about his military service. I thanked him for his service, he replied in a very humble way “You don’t need to thank me, I didn’t do anything special” I had to respectfully disagree and let him know that he did do something, something very special, he answered the call when his country needed him. I am thankful each and every day to all that have.

The one thing all of the people I encountered had in common was as we talked and they shared their stories they became filled with joy and the biggest smiles followed! Kids were no different as they stared at it in awe, asked questions and took pictures. The effect these folks had on me was the same. To hear the stories see them laughing, the smiles on their faces gave me such a great feeling and of course a huge smile!!!!

I don’t believe that this particular car has any magic or special qualities but rather most cars of the era have an effect on people. For some like me it’s a time machine, for other’s it’s like a movie star since it’s just like the one in a movie or a favorite video game. Some look at it and they have never seen anything like it before but they know they like what they see. Whatever the reason might be the outcome is the same.

Not too long ago I befriended a disabled Veteran on Twitter he told me how much he would love to help work on the car if only he was closer and could get the gas money together. That’s when I decided. I need to help, I need to give back. I need to put a smile on as many faces as I can! There are not enough drugs in the world that can make you feel as good as putting a smile on someone’s face. Maybe I can’t change the world………..but I’m sure going to try. One smile at a time!!!!

I hope after reading this you have a smile on your face too

Please join me. Together we can!!!

I want to get vietnam veterans and classic cars together to share stories, talk cars, take a spin, bond and heal and most of all laugh and smile. Let me know if you think anyone would be interested.

Thanks
len dohm
lendohm@gmail.com