Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help finding information about Dad

My Dads name was John Edward Witherspoon born in Oklahoma City,OK on may 16 1947

I'm trying to find some information regarding the places and people he served with.

I never had a good relationship with him, my parents divorced when i was 4 and I never saw him much after that. We dint talk much...the vietnam talk was definatly out of the equation.

And of course he died prematurely from a heart attack when I was still young.

I need as a sort of closure to go and visit the places he was, where he risked his life, where his freinds died, where he was forced to become a man.

Unfortunatly this is all the information I can provide, I dont know any of his combat brothers, I dont know where he was stationed.

The time period he was there for was around 67/68

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua Witherspoon

Re: Need help finding information about Dad

Joshua!

I would recommend you to begin with contacting NARA, after first reading the info in their below subpage regarding military records. As you are "next of kin", you have a right to retain copys of your fathers military records. What you should ask for, are copys of:

1) Your fathers DD-214.

2) Your fathers so called "201-file".

In the above, you will find Everything regarding your fathers service, e-x-c-e-p-t his medical records, which are kept separate. But everything else regarding your fathers military service, will be in the above 2 copys.

The link to the NARA-subpage is:
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Sincerely
A.B