Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
some idle thoughts in between innings...

.....here's one that got me going this morning...listening to NPR radio while driving into town today....a program about New Orleans...10 years after hurricane Katrina...and how the city survived and is being revitalized and rebuilt and growing again....and one particular story concerned an area of the city...a historically poor, and neglected, and crime-ridden neighborhood...that was hit hardest by the storm...flooding and destroying it for days and weeks and abandoned for years in some cases......interviewees were speaking of the influx of young, educated, energetic professional-types who are coming in and buying and rehabbing and rebuilding...making the surrounding area clean and prosperous and family-safe...
...and then...and then came the kicker....some old-time citizens of the city spoke of the resentment they feel for the new people in the neighborhood...and about how they are changing their neighborhood and destroying their culture and their heritage and the "essence"...their word, not mine...of the city.......
.......and I'm thinking..."say wtf??"....what culture is that exactly?...the culture of drug gangs and murders and poverty and ignorance?....or how about abandoned buildings and run-down properties and filthy streets..there is heritage to be proud of......

.....anyway...I'll be back shortly with more inane observations and curmudgeonly remarks....lefty<---zeroing in on the Donald soon.