Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Equipment left behind

Hey guys! How is everyone doing? Been a rather slow day for me so I've been able to do some thinking. Nothing deep or philosophical just wondering about a few things.
Has anyone, other than myself, wondered what happened to all of the equipment we left in Viet Nam and/or Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan? Where did the ISIS, Taliban and others get their equipment? To me it looks a lot like our equipment is being used against us in this war. Much the same as in Viet Nam. It seems in our haste to leave that part of the world we left some pretty expensive stuff there. And now it is being used against our troops.
Again, much the same as Nam. It seems that's what happens when politicians take charge of combat situations. Or am I being paranoid? Like I said, I was just sitting here thinking.

Re: Equipment left behind

First time here. No you are not paranoid and yes ISIS is using our abandoned equipment and weaponry. Sickens me to death. Same as Nam as you said. The NVA and Cong loved their new toys I am sure. And what about all the stuff we pushed into the S China Sea off the carriers when loading all the "heroic freedom fighters" who abandoned their own country since we weren't fighting for them anymore?

When my son was a Marine Platoon leader in Iraq he said the insurgents at the time even had US weaponry. But they couldn't use them as good as his guys did.
Thank God he and his guys were better fighters and leaders.

I just found this site in my search for RVN Vet chat rooms but no one is ever in the chat room. Is anyone ever there?

Welcome home and never forget!

PS - HHC 864th Engr Batt = Cam Rahn Bay and Nha Trang and surrounding areas on details May 66 thru May 67.

Matt! "864th Engr Bn"....

Not certain wether you know about / are aware of the following......

864th Engineer Battalion Alumni Association:
https://www.facebook.com/864thEngineeringBattalionAlumni

Just wanted to share. Take Good Care!

Sincerely
A.B

Re: Matt! "864th Engr Bn"....

Didn't your unit go to Nam with us in 1965? We landed at Cam Rahn Bay.

Hey there Matt! Maybe we weren't on the same ship to Nam but we did serve at Cam Rahn Bay. Maybe not at the same time tho. We got there in Jun. 1965. It was just sand, and lots of it. Tents were set up but we had to get our equipment together. I was dispatcher in the motor pool. Not much to do but I was there along with those in the 584th Engineer Co. (LE). We left out on May 18th, 1966. Heard the company moved down south from Dong Ba Thin. Never heard much after we got back home. Hard to believe it's been 50 years ago but my age tells it is so. Iwas 28 when we got there, now I'm 78. Yep, years tell. Welcome home guy!

It was the immediate quipt left behind, so naturally the longer the war the more good deadly stuff! I do recall orders to the effect of Policing the Area, in the middle of nowhere. They could build a tank with just a few slivers of alum gum wrappers. So you can only guess with time?