Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: checking in....

Hey lefty how ya doing....

Our personal weapon in The Tanks was the Model 1911 Cal 45 pistol, my personal favorite Weapon was the Ithica or the Springfield, in fact I own a Springfield now. I also have a Berretta Model 8045 Cougar cal.45. We also had 3 45 cal. Grease Guns on board that we had to Qualify with.

I was very proficient with the pistol and qualified expert, I also was a member of the Battalion pistol team, so I got much more time on the range.

Keep in mind this was while I was Stationed in Germany.

In RVN we could have just about any weapon we wanted on the tank.

Remember......."Real Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon"..

Hey there Lefty!
About your question concerning hand guns. When I enlisted in 1958 and went thru basic the main weapon was the M-1. I don't remember the caliber, I'm not a gun person. We got to shoot the BAR(Browning Automatic Rifle) but only for familirization purposes only.
When I re-enlisted in 1964 I was assigned a M-14. Went to the firing range and got to shoot a .45. I qualified as a Marksman. Not to bad for a city dude, or so I thought. It was a nice hand gun. But we don't own any guns. The wife's sister and husband own several. I'm for gun ownership but not a member of NRA.
What I know about guns would fill the shell casing of a .22 LR.

Durning my short stint as a MP at Fort Gordon I carried a 45 but cannot remember firing that pistol.