Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Homeless vets

You have to look close because some of those guys are not Vets. They are just posing as a vet so they can panhandle for more money.

However many are Veterans, I have talked to a few from time to time asked if there was anything I could do as far as getting them shelter, food or medical help. Some I have succeeded some are just non responsive.

Most of the problem is Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Combat can do that to Vets, Some here are Iraq, Afghanistan Veterans did 3 and 4 tours some are even highly decorated. I also have seen Vietnam Vets out there. Keep in mind that a large percentage of these vets know nothing about the VA, Some are completely eligible to go to the VA but do not know that they have that benefit. They only know the streets, they need Medical care, both physical and mental care.

As far as the Cigarettes,,I remember the Army gave us Ciggs and Beer in RVN maybe they just can't kick the habit. I know about the dogs also, they are probably the only true friends these guys have.

Hopefully they won't end up a Suicide Statistic because in this country 22 Veterans a Day Commit Suicide.

Sometimes these guys just need a helping hand instead of a handout.

In 69 when I got back to the states I did not want to talk to anyone and actually disliked everyone that I came in contact with. First thing I got was a dog so in a way I know how these Vets feel.

I don't think that they really want to be Homeless, I think many are just lost.

just my opinion

BTW

Good to see ya Old Fart. Welcome back!

Hey Jinks!

Thank you for being kind to me. Quite often I take a jaundiced view of things and forget the other side. Thank you for reminding me of the other side. I do get kinda upset when I see these persons on the side of the road. I dislike the way many of them look. I'm not Mr. Clean and I know it is rough but we can't legislate moral and ethical standards on these guys.

With all that is within me I wish there was some way to help those less fortunate than what I am. I am sorry for their situations. I don't know what they have gone thru but it has definitely left a mark on their emotional and mental sides.

Again thank you for talking about the other side of homelessness. I just feel sorry for so many of them.

Nuff said. Till later.

Hi guys. I spent nearly 10 years working with an organization called "Stand Down". It was both a tough and rewarding time for me. The organization is a grass roots effort to give Vets a hand up not a hand out. By the way all the stand downs I was involved with were ran by Vets. Vets helping Vets, how about that. Type in Stand Down in your search box, maybe there is one in your AO that you could check out....cp