Return to Website

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com

WWW.Vietnamvets.com was started over 10 years ago by US Navy and Vietnam Veteran Murry Broach.In his Memory this site is lovingly dedicated.  
jinks

ENTER THE CHATROOM

Welcome to www.vietnamvets.com
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More Sit Rep..

A letter from congress to Shulkin (Jack Ass in my book)

I couldn't copy the PDF file of the letter I got from my congressman with 56 congressmen so I wrote the gist of it here along with the names of those who signed. The letter still misstates it as unemployment benefits but it is a start. If your guy didn't sign ask him why. Plus the number is higher than 225,000. The VA posted numbers a few years back with over 600,000 totally disabled of which half are TDIU

June 12, 2017

The Honorable David J. Shulkin, M.D. Secretary

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 810 Vermont Ave, NW

Washington, DC 20420 Dear Secretary y Shulkin:

As Members of Congress who share your commitment to our nation's veterans, we write to express our extreme concern with your proposal to cut critical unemployment benefits for disabled veterans as part of your Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Submission.

Your budget request proposes to eliminate Individual Unemployability (IU) benefits to retirement-aged veterans. As you know, nearly 225,000 senior veterans across the country who depend on the IU program as an economic lifeline would be impacted by these short-sighted cuts.

Assuming these veterans can compensate for the loss of income from IU with other retirement sources is simply incorrect. As noted by AMVETS, "these veterans have largely been disabled, out of the work force and not paying into Social Security for many years before reaching 65. Many have been severely disabled as a result of their military service and unable to work since the day of their discharge." With little to no access to resources like 40l (k)'s, IU payments provide needed support for these veterans and their families.

Gutting critical benefits for our veterans who have been unable to find work as a result of their service­ related disabilities breaks our fundamental promise to the brave men and women who served our country in uniform. Our district offices, in addition to local VSO's, report receiving calls from worried veterans who would be devastated by these proposed cuts.

Ending the IU program for our neediest veterans would mark a stark departure from long-standing bipartisan commitments to end veteran homelessness and poverty, and would leave thousands struggling to make ends meet. More than ever, we must continue to build on progress in our states to permanently end veteran homelessness, not undermine these critical efforts. To that end, we strongly oppose the proposed changes to IU and will work to ensure that these dangerous cuts are not implemented.

signed by:

Tom O’Hallerin

Ruben Gallego

Jim Costa

Carol Shea-Porter

Walter B. Jones

Josh Gottheimer

David Scott

Raul Grijava

David Cicilline

Sanfor Bishop Jr

Nannett Diaz Barragan

Ruben Kihuen

Joyce Beatty

Anthony G. Brown

Dwight Evans

Michelle Lujan Grisham

Dina Titus

Eleanor Holmes Norton

Tomas Suozzi

Frank Pallone

Sean Patrick Maloney

Mark Takano

Peter Defazio

Nuddia Velazquez

Jacky Rosen

John Lewis

Bet O’Rourke

Donald Payne

Henry C Johnson

Salud Carbajal

Anna Eshoo

Raul Ruiz

Stacey Plaskett

Alcee Hastings

STephan Lynch

Gwen Moore

Tulsi Gabbard

Collin Peterson

Debbie Dingel

Derek Kilmer

Chellie Pingree

Colleen Hanabusa

Cedric Richmond

Charlie Christ

Jamie Raskin

Ro Khanna

Norma Torres

Jimmy panetta

Gene Green

John Garamendi

Filemon Vela

Lucille Roybal-Allard

Stephanie Murphy

Donald Norcross

Tony cardenas

Seth Moulton

Joe Courtny

.......NOTE......

It should be noted that 56 of the 57 signees to that letter are Democrats. (the only Republican is Walter B. Jones of NC, a House "free spirit" who may have been invited to sign it for any number of reasons). WE know for sure that many Republican House members are against it, so this is not meant to be an all-encompassing list. Someone wondered if GOP Rep. Ted Yoho would be on the list, and now that the names have been posted, it's pretty sertain why he's not - this letter clearly did not get circulated to all members of the House.

At this time I'll give a rats ass on who will be on our side.
Believed or not even Pelosi is in our side.......AMAZING eh.

Real Signatures....

http://www.amvets.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Letter-to-Secretary-Shulkin-IU-benefits-1.pdf