Return to Website

San Diego Love on A Leash: Forum

Thank you for visiting this message forum.  Please post your comments, questions and ideas here to help us better serve your needs and others in our community.  Remember to enter the code shown at the bottom of your messege, before you post it. We appreciate your participation.

Thank you and have a nice day!  

San Diego Love on A Leash: Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
National City Libary

Well, Rick dropped me a line to see if we had any folks in our chapter who could do visits at the National City Library. Their library would like to start a program there. I told him that's a bit south, even for us, but I would post about it and ask around.

Kathy, you think Rosemary or perhaps Mary Mulligan (who works with Rosemary) would be interested? I think Berry might have too much energy for the kids, but Mary's Sizzle and Ritzy (she's in training) might be a good team. BUT, it think it may be too south for them. What do you think?

Re: National City Libary

What State is National City in ?
Giorgio

Do you know what day they want us to go? I know that Rosemary already has a lot of vists during the week. I agree with you, Robin, that Berry may be too energetic for the kids. Sizzle would be good, but I don't know where Mary lives. I met Ritzy for the first time on Monday, and she'd probably be good, too, once she gets certified.

Sandra Hayhurst always expressed a preference for working with kids, but you remember we mentioned her situation before. I told her she needed to contact either you or Missy for her final visit since I wanted someone with experience with big dogs to work with her too. Plus Maggie still has to pass the CGC test. This Saturday is usually when I see her, so I'll find out what is going on with her and let you know.

If it is once a month on a Saturday, I may be able to help out despite the distance. I don't mind since it's just for an hour. I'm completing some of my big projects soon so time should be opening up.

Please put Sandra in touch with Rosemary regrading the CGC and Obedience Evaluation form.

I'll contact Mary to see if she is interested with Sizzle or Ritzy. I know she wanted to work with kids. I think in hospitals to show them that a dog with three legs can do just fine.

I'm sending out a newsletter to not only bring these issues to everyone's attention, but to once again emphasize the message board.

Hey Gorgio,

I'm sure they say the same thing about Poway and RB

Forgot to answer Kathy's question regarding the time for visits. It wasn't mentioned which generally means we can set our own time/hours.

I've been thinking about this all day, and I really feel I'd like to help start a program there. I know it's far, but I just feel that the children in that area need our special attention.

As long as they are flexible about the days (once a month on a Saturday to begin with), I can do it. And once other people are on board, too, it'll be great!!

So if you want to send me the information, I will contact them.

Maybe that's why Nancy insisted Moli have her reading scarf!!

Karnak the cat-lovef knows all . . .

Wow, Kathy! Thanks so much for doing that! Yes, I'm sure once a month for now would be great for them. I'll send you the info via email. We really do rock, don't we!!!!

I'm SO excited about this!! I know I told Missy I'd help out at the Poway Library, but I think it'll be great to start this program.

Maybe Pam would want to help me since the Tierrasanta Library hasn't contacted her.

Thanks for this opportunity, Robin!!

By the way, Nancy, I know I told you Moli sometimes falls into the "large" category. Well, her scarf is a little big--is there something smaller? We can use it, but I thought I'd check!! I really like these collar scarves better than the tie ones.

Re: National City Library

Oh my. I just caught the spelling error in the title. I left out one of the 'r's.

I sent Kathy the information today and gave National and the library person a heads up that Kathy volunteered to visit the library. I'm so happy we can accommodate their request and perhaps from time to time some of us can work our way down there for one of the visits. Especially if it is on a weekend. Dogs and kids love reading together

Thank you Kathy for volunteering to be the visit captian for this fun visit. You and Moli are so great with children.

You'll have to give yourself a milage allowance for driving all the way to National City. I hope you have your passport, I heard you'll have to show it starting January 1.

Giorgio

Re: Re: National City Libary

Thanks for your kind words, Giorgio! They mean a lot to me.

I'm looking forward to working on this program. I blew the dust off of my passport!!

Hi Kathy,

Have you and the librarian been able to come up with a suitable time/date? If you give us some advance notice of your first visit, perhaps some of us can join you to help kick it off.

I contacted Jackie Davis, the Children's Librarian, right after I got the info. She really wants to start the reading program, but she has to get approval from her supervisors first. I answered her many questions, sent her a brochure and business card, and referred her to our website where she could print out the story on our RB Library visit. She had spoken with the Poway librarian about their program, so she was pretty on top of things.

I told her we could start the visits on a monthly basis on a Saturday, and she thought that would be good.

So I'm just waiting to hear back from her. I'll try to give her a call and see if she needs further information to support her request.

Boy, you're on top of things! I hope all works out so we can accomodate them. Do keep us updated on what happens.

I have some great news!!! I spoke with Jackie Davis, the children's librarian at the National City Library. She said our reading program has been approved!!!

Our first date will be Saturday, December 2nd, from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., then on January 6th.

I'm hoping as many teams as possible will be able to attend our first meeting. Jackie is SO excited as she knows the children in that area need this program so much. She is going to be meeting with the schools within the next week, announcing our program and getting the teachers' input of what children really need to be invited to this. Of course, every child will be invited, and Jackie will be getting flyers out, too.

This is such a great opportunity for us--Moli and I are looking forward to working with Jackie and the children.

This will also allow members who live in the South Bay or East County the opportunity to help open up this new program, which I think is very exciting!

Robin, can we get an e-mail out to all the members as I am not sure everyone reads these messages. Please have anyone interested contact me through e-mail or the message board.

I'll have more info as the time gets closer!!

Thank you.

Great news, Kathy. I'll put it on my calendar. Let's talk about this at the board meeting as I know there will be other things I need to send out to our members.

Also, please mark your calendar about 10 prior to the visit and remind me. I'll then contact the local paper in that area as well as the U/T and see if they will do a story on it. Great PR for the library (and us)

Well, there may not have been an update for a month on this thread, but we definitely have some exciting news to share. Kathy and I went to the library for the first visit Saturday morning before heading to the other end of our County for the booth event. Moli and Cody went to the library . First of all, this is a spectularly beautiful library. They had another one in National City up the street for decades and opened this a year ago in August. It's breath taking. If for no other reason than to take a closer look at it, some of you should attend our next reading program.

The librarian greeted us warmly, introduced us to all the staff and gave us the grand tour of this magnificent building. Very modern looking, but peaceful and warm, too. They have a teen section, large adult section, children's section about three times the size of the one in RB, hooked up for folks to bring in their own computers besides having computers there, two large, flat screen TVs, conference rooms, movie rooms, quiet rooms, study areas, I could go on and on. It's simply breath taking (at least in my opinion).

As for the reading, Moli and Cody were pros. Cody laid down and crossed his front paws as he waited to be read to. Moli laid down on a the carpet and then one of the floor cushions as kids read to her. The librarian had her three kids there for a bit (her grand kids that she adopted) and then some other kids came in. For the first time there, we had a good turn out and I know it will only get better.

If anyone else is interested in attending, Kathy has scheduled us to visit the first Saturday of every month from I think 10-11 (maybe it's 10:30-11:30 as that's when we got ready to leave). Carpooling will definitely take place for anyone interested in attending. Back seat sharing is a must (Cody sat behind Kathy with his seatbelt on ~ Moli sat behind me in her royal, cushioned seat, also restrained so as not to slide or fly foward if we had to stop short). I really ahd a fun time . Kathy, thank you for volunteering to visit this library.

Kathy gave Mike & I a report on the 1st visit to the library. She showed us the photos she had taken. Oh, my gosh, Kathy got so many wonderful photos to capture this historical event.

The photos of Cody and Moli each reading with a child. It was obvious that it was a magical visit.

Thanks for visiting the library in the south county AND then driving all the way to Escondido for the EHS booth. You two are troopers!

Hey, I'm gonna have to have Kathy send me those, too. She sent me an adorable photo of Cody and Moli sitting next to each other with Moli looking up at Cody. It was a lot of fun!

It was the most fun I've had in a long time!! Thanks, Robin, for being there. You gave me a lot of tips since this was only the second time Moli and I visited a library!! Your help was invaluable.

I'll get the pictures to you after tonight's activity at the Arbors--promise!!!

Guess my brain is getting tired as I don't recall giving you any tips. You and Moli (see, she's wearing a lei) did a great job letting the kids read to you . Only think I recall suggesting was to have the librarian have a few books on animals set aside so kids could perhaps pick from them to read.

Can't wait to see the other pictures as well as the ones from caroling tonight . Have loads of fun.