Return to Website

San Diego Love on A Leash: Forum

Thank you for visiting this message forum.  Please post your comments, questions and ideas here to help us better serve your needs and others in our community.  Remember to enter the code shown at the bottom of your messege, before you post it. We appreciate your participation.

Thank you and have a nice day!  

San Diego Love on A Leash: Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jan. 24th at Elizabeth Hospice

Moorea and I are volunteers with The Elizabeth Hospice, which covers our North County area. Sometimes we've been called in to visit someone in a hospital or other facility. But mostly we visit Remington Club and just confidentially stop into the rooms of residents who are receiving Elizabeth Hospice services. Some of these people have been on hospice care for years, although hospice is usually for people in the last 6 months of their lives.

This sounds like a depressing job, but it isn't at all. The smiles our pets bring to others is no different for the Elizabeth Hospice patients. It also feels wonderful to bring smiles to the patient's family members as they visit their loved one.

Pet-assisted therapy is only one of many kinds of volunteer work. On Wednesday, January 24th from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. thre will be an informative meeting at The Elizabeth Hospice's Poway Office near Pomerado Hospital.

I was sent an invitation which says, "Do you enjoy volunteering? Do you have friends who would like to do the same? Here is the perfect opportunity to share your interest with them. Invite your friends and join us for this event!"

So, my friends, I am inviting you to join me. This is not a training session, but in informational meeting to introduce you to the many opportunities to help others in our community.

Contact me or The Elizabeth Hospice directly if you have questions. Hope to see you there.

Re: Jan. 24th at Elizabeth Hospice

So great of you to post this information, Nancy. I was just coming to the message board to also share information on Elizabeth Hospice pertaining to upcoming training in Escondido:

Their next pet therapy orientation will be Thursday, January 18th at 6:00pm. This will just be a question and answer orientation, no actual training will be done.

Their full volunteer training will be held the first three Saturdays in February (3, 10, 17). For more details, please contact Jennifer March, Volunteer Coordinator at Elizabeth Hospice at:
JRMarsh@Elizabethhospice.org or visit their website for more details at:
www.elizabethhospice.org

Mike & I will be attending the February training for volunteers. When I did my pet-therapy training 3 years ago, only a 1/2 day training was required. I'm looking forward to the full 3 days, as it is so informative and helpful for our visits to nursing homes and elder care facilities.

There is still time to contact The Elizabeth Hospice if you would like to join the training in February.

To find out more information, please attend the meeting on Jan. 24th in Poway. I'll be there since this is for potential volunteers as well as current volunteers, like me.

Oops. I posted info on the meeting on the other thread:
Hospice Volunteers ~ An open house for prospective and current volunteers for Elizabeth Hospice will take place on Wednesday, January 24, 2-4pm at 15706 Pomeradod Road, Suite S207 in Poway. For more information, call 760-737-2050.