Wocki's Acorn-Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acorn A420/1, need help on transfering of files please

hey

thanks if you took the time to read this, i have an acorn 420 and a general desktop 700mhz and wish to transfer files from my desktop to my acorn, i know pc cards are available but i have been researching on google and have read about Arc IMG (I think) have tryed that but no success, my main problem is that i d/loaded a rar of acorn games and i am having trouble gettin them across to my acorn, i tryed formatting on acorn then reading in pc don't work so i'm kind of stuck ATM, i'm relativly new to acorns but used them during my school years so i know the basics of them, also if any one could help with networking it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading and to any replies
Jim

Re: Acorn A420/1, need help on transfering of files please

Hey Jim,

you can only write discimages to Acorn discs with Arc IMG (or ArcDisc at my site ).
In my oppinion the downloads at acorn games are real Acorn compressed files, no images.
You need to download the file as an image (maybe you'll find it here or ask me) and then write the unpacked image to an Acorn formatted disc. Now you should be possible to read the disc on your A420.

Bye

Wocki

Re: Re: Acorn A420/1, need help on transfering of files please

hey

cheerz for the reply, do u have the progs needed to do it then? i have either arc img or arcdisc (i'm not sure which) alsso do i need to run an acorn emulator 2 complete the task? thanx 4 the reply, no offence but could you simplify the response please if you can? i know about formatting acorn discs!

(You need to download the file as an image (maybe you'll find it here or ask me) and then write the unpacked image to an Acorn formatted disc. Now you should be possible to read the disc on your A420.) Not to sure on this part!

Cheerz
Jim

Re: Re: Re: Acorn A420/1, need help on transfering of files please

Hi,

you don't need an emulator to do that job.
Best you use ArcDisc , so you don't need to struggle with the parameters for arcimg in the DOS prompt.
Just unpack the compressed file at your PC, run ArcDisc and then write it to the acorn fomratted disc. That's all.
Hope you do have a Windows lesser than Windows 2000 or Windows XP. You can use the tool only for older Windows versions, because the new ones are blocking the disc operations for the tool.

Best regards

Wocki