Wocki's Acorn-Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ArcDisc problems

I'm having problems with ArcDisc

I got a version that was included with VirtualAcorn but it just won't work at all: if I click on ArcDisc I get an error message that says: "Ungultiger Dateiname" and although the ArcDisc acorn image appears the "Go" button is greyed out and nothing happens if I click on it...

Ok I thought, I'll visit this website and download the latest version from here. Strangely enough the version number is the same, but, its slightly better, the error message is gone and at least the "go" button works this time and the DOS window appears, it accesses the floppy disc drive but after about 30 seconds ArcDisc returns the message "Operation Failed", no other messages and no ADF image

Can anyone help please? I have Win2K Pro, AMD Duron 700mhz chipset, 512mb RAM

Re: ArcDisc problems

After starting ArcDisc please click on the configure button on top of the acorn. Is the directory shown in the dialog the correct one and is there a version of 'ArcImg.exe'?

If yes, then please check the 'Destination of File' on the lower part of the acorn for a correct and writable path.

If all of this seems to be correct then please tell me your settings inside ArcDisc.

Thank you

Wocki

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I got a version that was included with VirtualAcorn but it just won't work at all: if I click on ArcDisc I get an error message that says: "Ungultiger Dateiname" and although the ArcDisc acorn image appears the "Go" button is greyed out and nothing happens if I click on it...

Ok I thought, I'll visit this website and download the latest version from here. Strangely enough the version number is the same, but, its slightly better, the error message is gone and at least the "go" button works this time and the DOS window appears, it accesses the floppy disc drive but after about 30 seconds ArcDisc returns the message "Operation Failed", no other messages and no ADF image

Re: Re: ArcDisc problems

Sorry but I checked all of the settings etc and they're all ok.

The problem seems to be with the ArcImg DOS program. I decided to bypass ArcDisc and access ArcImg directly. The results were interesting but disappointing:

If I type in the DOS command: "Arcimg disc /read" after a few seconds of accessing the floppy disc drive it returns the error message: "Not an Archimedes disc". I've tried it on numerous discs some of them original Acorn ones but the result is the same with all of them and yet they worked fine with my old A3000 computer. I tried both ArcImg versions 1.1 and 1.1.2

The Acorn format discs themselves are 800k and my floppy drive is a standard PC floppy disc drive.

Thanks.

Replying to:

After starting ArcDisc please click on the configure button on top of the acorn. Is the directory shown in the dialog the correct one and is there a version of 'ArcImg.exe'?

If yes, then please check the 'Destination of File' on the lower part of the acorn for a correct and writable path.

If all of this seems to be correct then please tell me your settings inside ArcDisc.

Thank you

Wocki

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: ArcDisc problems

Ok since posted that that last message I've found out the reason why - ArcImg doesn't work with Windows 2000 which is what I have. Nor does it work with Win NT nor XP.

See : http://knowbody.org.uk/arcimage/

Replying to:

The problem seems to be with the ArcImg DOS program. I decided to bypass ArcDisc and access ArcImg directly. The results were interesting but disappointing:

If I type in the DOS command: "Arcimg disc /read" after a few seconds of accessing the floppy disc drive it returns the error message: "Not an Archimedes disc". I've tried it on numerous discs some of them original Acorn ones but the result is the same with all of them and yet they worked fine with my old A3000 computer. I tried both ArcImg versions 1.1 and 1.1.2

The Acorn format discs themselves are 800k and my floppy drive is a standard PC floppy disc drive.

Thanks.

Replying to:

Thank you

Wocki

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: ArcDisc problems

I made some tests with the Win2000 system and thought everything works. Doesn't seem to be so. I know that it won't work with Windows XP at the moment. Sorry for this, I'll add a comment to my site.

Replying to:

Ok since posted that that last message I've found out the reason why - ArcImg doesn't work with Windows 2000 which is what I have. Nor does it work with Win NT nor XP.

See : http://knowbody.org.uk/arcimage/

Replying to:

Thanks.

Replying to:

Thank you

Wocki

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ArcDisc problems

Go to bootdisk.com and make a win 98 bootdisc. Copy arcimg to the same disc, then boot your computer from the floppy. On my XP machine it makes a ramdisc for drive c: as it's not fat32 format! Not to worry, as arcimg should would fine, and you can copy it to another floppy disc.