ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
grill trim

anyone got a spare grill trim that goes around the london transport badge....condition not important..any help please email me..

My bus number (if any): rm1799

Re: grill trim

Sorry, can't help, but one has just been sold on ebay for just over £100.00. I suspect that a few more will surface if that's the going rate.

Rob

If you look on the ROOF website linked above, take the link to the work done on RM 1872 South Devon Railway. They have made replica grille badge holders but they are not cheap. As Rob says they are like gold dust although there must be hundreds in sheds and in drawers all over the UK as they were regularly taken off the buses as that piece was not bolted to the grille. The same applies to the indicators, particularly the front ears lens and fixing brackets, be prepared to pay £150 plus for a decent pair. You could try Lionel Moss as he certainly had some but may now have sold them. For the rear the lens are not that hard to find they do come up on Ebay from time to time, but the body is, however, its the same size as some of the reversing light on a lot of rear engined buses of the period so worth looking out for those if you visit scrap yards.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs

i was bidding on that but started watching you tube & lost it..if somone could even lend me one i can get it cast in alloy....

Robert - I do by chance happen to have a grille trip for the badge surround. It's in fair condition with a few scratches but if you're interested, please email, I'll send you a photo and we can take it from there.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

hi steve,.great news! ive emailed you.. funny thing you have 1699,.,. ive got 1799 !

Do you mean RM 1799? According to all the records it was bought by Ross and Steve Newman sometime back and is in the Ensign Bus Museum.

Has it been sold? Isn't this the one that has been re-engined but has not had a body refurb judging by pictures of it?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs

yes RM 1799

My bus number (if any): 1799

Co-incidentally, I viewed RM1799 in early 1998 at holloway garage where Metroline had it up for sale. It then had an original AEC engine. Whilst I was very tempted, 1699 came on the market and was a better bet since the asking price was slightly less and it was in better condition.

1799 soon after returned to service and it's AEC was relpaced by a Cummins B a couple of year's later. It was amongst the last RM's to work the 390 from HT and was sold to Ensigns in 2004.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

always interesting to hear things about rm1799..thanks for your info...look forward to meeting you soon....rob.

My bus number (if any): 1799