ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AEC AV 590 starter motor

The clutch mechanism on my starter motor has disintegrated but the rest of the motor is fine. I'd be grateful for advice on where a replacement clutch mechanism could be found. I've found a replacement starter motor but would like to repair the old one to keep as a spare in these days of diminishing parts availablity. Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM2213

Re: AEC AV 590 starter motor

Hi Chris......I have a unit which I believe turns over but we judged it past its best.....I can bring it down to Peterborough if you wish. Ian.

My bus number (if any): RM765

Hi,
The following is a company that has helped me replace my starter motor on RM110.They said that this unit was freely available.
Make sure that you know the number of teeth on your existing starter motor before contacting them.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Trig
The Brakehouse
Imex House 6, Wadsworth Rd, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 7JJ Tel: 020 8998 4009

My mates found that the clutch went on our starter motor during the last world cup. They cleverly collected beer caps, extended the starter motor shaft and placed them behind the starter motor drive gear to keep it engaged during the starting process. As the engine started the caps fell away letting the gear return to its proper position.
A stroke of genius.

Thanks Ian, I'll contact you off forum.

Thanks Michael, I didn't realise the Brakehouse did starter motors as well.

I've put a picture of the damaged clutch assembly on the ROOF website (click Return to Website above) and hope I will be able get the motor servicable again.

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM2213

Sorry Chris, my mistake. I posted the wrong company. I will post the correct one later.
Regards
Mick

My bus number (if any): RM110

i am wanting to purchase a cav starter motor for a AV590 engine please, as mine has chucked it.completly
alf

My bus number (if any): av590

hello there .did you find out the supplier for cav starters please.
alfspickup

My bus number (if any): av590

PSV Electrical at Hoddesdon can rebuild your old one, typical cost around £380. they sometimes have one on the shelf as they also fit Gardner engines.

My bus number (if any): RML2532