ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A good idea

I noticed perusing the 'other channel' a lot of discussion on the future supply and quality of spare parts.
There are good arguments for and against but I did see an entry that seems a rather good idea.

It seems to be suggesting an online national parts database with parts and details listed, wherabouts and the vendors contact but also suggests no pricing or such.

I think this could be a very good idea if developed a bit but would need to be as independent and fully available for all RM owners, restorers and users and somesort of safeguard to stop anyone buying up all others stock.

A good idea? I think it could well be.

Re: A good idea

An on-line parts data base? In principle a good idea but I think the devil is in the detail. I offer 3 practical issues to consider:

1. Who should administer. RMOOA might be a choice, although it would need to be open to non members of the Association. If it's to be through RMOOA, then it would have to be managed by an individual that is be widely trusted and respected. I have to say that the organisation does rather have a rather unfortunate history of rifts/splits and factions. Could it be relied upon to do the job?

2. Related to 1.) owners who do hold a number of spares may very well be very wary of divulging what they have. This re-enforces the issue of trust.
It's absolutely vital that as many owners as possible are willing to participate otherwise it's unfair on those owners who are willing to set out what they have.

3. For the system to work, it's no good just people listing what they have. More important is that they must be willing to either sell, exchange or lend.

I don't wish to sound unduly negative - on the contrary it would be good to see the idea put into practice. It just needs very careful thought!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

"For the system to work, it's no good just people listing what they have. More important is that they must be willing to either sell, exchange or lend."

And that is where it all falls down. If those with the parts wanted to let others know about them they would have done so by now. I know of a store of RM parts that resembles the goods out bay at Chiswick Works. If the owners wanted to let people have those parts they would do so. All the while people cry doom and gloom, although that is mostly coming from one place, is nayone going to give up parts that they might need in futuer, I don't think so.

Its funny that the RTs and RFs keep on going although not so many now as owners get older and poorer, by a network of owners who quietly work together without any SHOUTING or association being involved and basically do each other favours as happens on here from time to time behind the scenes.
That will never happen with RMs as things stand for the reasons Steve mentioned above.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs

It certainly would need to be a simple set up.

But as a non- trading site, just a register flagging up who has what with no financial transactions, it could well be a page on the RMOOA website.
Even as it seems to be suggested, a section of the 'other channel could be used but it would have to be as impartial and independent as possible with no interference other than policing it from abuse. And clearly separate from the forum.

I have no problem with the 'other channel' being a free to air your views forum. It can be funny, tiresome, irritating but it can also be very interesting and several contributors throw up some very good points even if they are sometimes less then eloquent. Nobody should be judged purely because of poor use of written english.

I think it should be purely for those to list surplus parts that they wish to dispose of, or have a regular surplus supply. The hardest bit would be finding a way to prevent someone simply buying all of someone's stock and then another's and so on as it would be catastrophic as someone could end up monopolising the lot!
It might be that items are only sold upon presentation of an RMOOA membership number, thus producing a genuine benefit for being a member.
It could be wider and include AEC / RT register members in the same way.

A consensus and coming together of factions would be( in my opinion only,) a huge move forward and could yield great long term benefits for preservationists and operators.