ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM 1563

I'm currently working on a project overseas so don't get to see the web too much of late.
But back in London this week managed a very interesting evening at the LTM on the plans for the new Routemaster. I fear that a lot of features that should be incorporated won't be and it will be much like the rubbish that currently passes as a bus.
Comfort and exuding quality did not seem figure so it looks like horrid plastic seats with the 0.0005mm cushions! Ouch!

On the good front Neil G maybe pleased to know that whilst there I found that EFE have a model of RM1563 in it's showbus guise albeit without the Harrods adverts but with period ads.

Till my next return, Adios
Jack

Re: RM 1563

Good news Jack, I am pleased to say that 1563 is still alive and kicking and has recently been repainted.

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RMC1490, RML2418, RCL2243, NGT RCN701

Twenty five years ago tonight, May 8th 1984, I drove RM1563 on its last run in service prior to withdrawal.
As mentioned many times before, it really was a cracking good bus to drive and I suppose it was fortunate that it hadn`t been on `the list` of September 1982 withdrawn stock given that it had a Leyland engine. It was a bit sad making that last trip from Liverpool Street to Mortlake followed by the final high speed run up the A316 to Stamford Brook but several people who had been involved with it as a showbus were on that last journey so it made the evening a bit special.

Funny thing is that long after leaving LT, every May 8th I unfailingly recall that last proper service drive in a bus that I had a long association with and perhaps more importantly, a lot of fun and enjoyment from. Places and rallies we took it to, friends made along the way. Perhaps this anniversary is a `landmark` number but I wonder how many RM owners now were actually at the `sharp end` in the 1970`s and up to 1986 when, I think, LT changed for ever. Those days are long gone, times when it was enjoyable to go to work. Only those who were there then would probably understand this. Sure, things were not perfect but, compared to how circumstances went on to change, they were great times and I still look back on them with great fondness. Yet now I wouldn`t entertain working `on the buses`so I`m really glad I did it when I did.

I can agree with everything Neil has said. I started at Kingston in 1973 and also left LT in 1986, when the 65 and Norbiton Garage went OPO as I was anti-OPO anyway but could also see the way that the job was heading. Tendering was already underway and the attacks on wages and conditions soon left Norbiton a sorry place that I was happy to have got away from. My last drive for LT was as a duplicate to the last 65 from Ealing Broadway and I was so pleased that both buses were RMs (I believe I drove RM797 but I can't be sure without checking my diaries). By that time there weren't many left at NB. It is a lasting memory. My days at Kingston were the happiest of my working life. A great bunch of people and a job I enjoyed.

My bus number (if any): RMC1469

Indeed, That was the end of a great era and certainly the period I relish.

I clearly remember the last months of RMs on the 65. There was even a renaissance at one stage with a freshly overhauled RM arriving after the Metrobuses had started to creep in. RM1804 I recall.
The last RMs were 797 and I think 1420 0r 1425. 1255 was around as well.

The 65 was never the same again, a great RM and RT route to ride. I gather that drivers at FW far prefer the 65 and 71 to any of its other routes to this day!

RM 1563 was a credit to Mortlake Garage, and that's saying something as just about everything that had wheels in that place was picture perfect.

Its unbelievable that it is 25 years since it was pulled out of service but great that it is still owned by one of those who looked after it at Mortlake.

For me it was always the most special of Routemasters as it was not just the bus but the great camaraderie of people that were an inspiration

My bus number (if any): 0

I understand that RM1563 is likely to be the 'cover girl' of a forthcoming RMOOA magazine, quite timely for it's 'anniversary'

My bus number (if any): 0