ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Platform doors

Hi,

I'm looking into getting some proper lockable metal doors built to secure the platform opening.

I've seen a number of buses around the place which have had good-looking doors fitted, and wondered if anyone knows of any companies to contact who do this kind of work?

Thanks,

David

My bus number (if any): RM1380

Re: Platform doors

If yyou go to the other routemastwer forum, http://www.network54.com/Forum/396693/ you will find the information you need.
Steve

My bus number (if any): RM531

Re: Platform doors

The problem with platform doors is there is no easy one-stop easy fix solution. If you just want a set of doors to prevent access at ralleys not too much of a problem, if you want a secure door that will keep out thieves then you will need to think about the pros and cons as thief proof doors mean secure fixings and damage to your buses "original" condition.

We have a set of safety glass doors on our RML which are on tracks set into the platform ceiling panel and platform, they "glide" open on runners either side of the grab pole, much like entrance doors do on doored buses. Other buses have wooden security doors on hinges bolted through the rear frame and platform bulkhead, that can lead to having to take off or at least cut back the entrance rail, although that can be cut round, but its very difficult to retain the ticket box if you want a really secure door. None of doors are pretty but they keep the buses secure at night.

What you need to think about is what you want the doors for and how much damage you want to make to your bus in fitting doors and then try and work a design out from that. Whatever form of doors you choose, there will be holes in your bus!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs