ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo drive shaft needed!!

From the day I bought 531, the speedo has never worked. Having got the air issue sorted, and a new half exhaust fitted, now was the time to cure the speedo as well. Checked the head, that was fine, so took the drive out of the gearbox- problem obvious. Where there should have been teeth, there was a toothless grin. Worn out teeth, with two teeth missing completely.

Thought getting a new one would be a doddle, seemingly not. Tried J&S components- no. Tried Imperial- no. Tried Lional Moss- sold the last one a fortnight ago. J&S said try Ensign, they had some made. So tried Ensign, but theirs were for the fitting of tachos and have a different end fitting.

So! Has anyone got an origional speedo shaft they will sell me? They are about 8 inches long, with a slot cut into the top. At the bottom is a gear which engages in the gearbox. (The RML refurbs apparantly have a different system with a sender on the rear propshaft).

My bus number (if any): RM531

Re: Speedo drive shaft needed!!

I may be completely wrong here, but I think that there are three different types depending on what ratio diff is fitted.
STD ratio needs a 14t Gear
Mid ratio needs a 12t Gear
High ratio needs a 10t Gear

Rob

Well, there you go. Didn't know that! Mine has the rotting stumps of 14 teeth.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Rob, I think the 4:08-1 ratio needs a drive with 11 teeth. Andrew Morgan is investigating having some made. Paul.

Also the tyre size fitted will have a bearing on it as well (In the service manual there is a full page chart relating to speedo cog teeth and tyre size and diff ratio part D22, section 9)

Part I have found so far has 13 teeth on the drive shaft (which with 900x 20 tyres is for 5.17 : 1 diff (monocontrol) or 1000x 20 tyres is for 5.17 to 5.22 : 1 diff (monocontrol), part number D1/25944 7 inch long.

Mark

Interestingly the axle ratios start at 4.14:1 and go to 6.80:1 and the drive shaft options have 11 to 18 teeth in increments of 1

My bus number (if any): RM1414 (sort of)