ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ensign sell five Routemasters in July, 3 RMLs to Canada

RM1799 to Red Route Buses, Northfleet.

RML2465 / 2675 / 2525 to Ambassatours , Halifax , Nova Scotia , Canada .

RML2715 to Shoreditch Studios, London .

Hope they have all gone to good homes!

My bus number (if any): RM 238, RM 471 & RM 2213

Re: Ensign sell five Routemasters in July, 3 RMLs to Canada

Routemasters sold to film and television studios tend to have a horribly short life after sale. Lets hope that is not the case with this one.

My bus number (if any): RM531

I don't think it's that sort of studios fortunately Steve - see http://www.shoreditchstudios.com - I would imagine she is not going to be a preserved bus however....!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

2715 is in very rough mechanical condition and was withdrawn for scrap originally.

It now runs but requires a fair bit of work to be tip top as the owner is aware. It has however been repainted and looks cosmetically good. The owner is a photographer and does a lot of model shoots, (as our delivery driver will bear testament to!!)so its largely a prop for him, but he hasd now fallen in love with it and intends to put it on the road, which wasn't his initial aim. To be honest the condition this one came in in, any home that keeps it alive is a good one.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for putting us straight Steve! Sounds like a good thing all round in that case - well done! Just shows we shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's almost five years since you handed me the mock ticket with RML2302's number on - good grief!!! A wonderful day I'll never forget - thank you!

Brian,

It was exactly for people like yourself we did it, those who have embraced bus presevation and not only preserve the vehicle but add to the community. I'm glad you are still enjoying her!!

Steve

That's very kind Steve - thanks again!

Steve Newman
Brian,

It was exactly for people like yourself we did it, those who have embraced bus presevation and not only preserve the vehicle but add to the community. I'm glad you are still enjoying her!!

Steve

Almost five years on, I'm also still enjoying the pleasure of owning and driving RML2271 Steve, as I write this, I had her on display at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum Open Day at Lathalmond last Sunday, other Routemasters present being Stagecoach RM560, Gary Conn & Martin Gurr's RM910 & Bankfoot Buses of Perth's RML2343. I will be taking RML2271 up to Perth for the Scone Palace Vintage Vehicle Rally on Sunday 13TH September.

I'm sure Brian will agree that we should raise a toast to you, your dad and Ross on the fifth anniversary of the Routemaster Raffle on 4TH December, thanks again.

My bus number (if any): RML2271

Chris Dobbing
RM1799 to Red Route Buses, Northfleet.

RML2465 / 2675 / 2525 to Ambassatours , Halifax , Nova Scotia , Canada .

Hope they have all gone to good homes!

Hi Steve

I have a personal interest in RMLs2465 & 2525 as until recently, I used to drive them for their owners when they were based in Glasgow. Will both buses be running on the tours over there and have they already been exported?

Hi Graham

Yes both have gone and are in service there now, they must now have one of the largest RML fleets in the world. Also joining them today is another one you will know 2677, as they plan to expand their tour ops, although all of them retain their roofs as they only operate closed tops, so they are still earning their keep as buses albeit on distant shores!!

Really pleased 2271 is going great guns, is a nice bus that and I always liked the route 12 branding!!

Steve

Steve, regarding 2677, Michael Roulston's mechanics had a problem with the gears cutting out, something about the tachograph affecting the fully auto, and the only option was to convert it to semi-auto to get full gear functionality. Also, when it joined the First Glasgow Private Hires fleet from Westbourne Park, it was the runt of the litter, poor brake performance, intermittent loss of engine power and excessive exhaust emission. Did your guys manage to restore the fully auto function before exporting her?

Thanks for the comments about Roxy (2271), she really is part of the family now and I've had her parked outside my house recently to take photos, also had the neighbours out looking at her. I was also driving her through Glasgow City Centre yesterday and noticed a McKindless bus driver taking photos of her on his camera phone when he was parked at a bus stop. As you know, his boss Vincent McKindless owns RML2600 and a very well preserved Crossville Bristol Lodekka.

I also met another one of your satisfied customers, Neil Scullion from Aberdeen who owns Roxy's Camberwell stablemate RML2484, his old girl is also running well and I hope to accept Neil's invitation to head up there soon and take her for a drive.

thats fab news i love to go canada to see them also good news about my old school bus for the 10s rm 1799 i hope red route look after her

My bus number (if any): rm 1562