ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat cushion bolt fixing disks Restoring Body maker's plates

Anyone got a supplier for those round disk like fixings (about 1" diameter) on seat cushion boards that take the metal threads that secure the seat positioning blocks. I think they are the same on all seats including RMs. Its just a simple spring steel (I think) disk with a hole and two edges to take the thread.

In addition had anyone any ideas on how to tidy up a body makers plate? Any abrasive is a no no as it takes off the black paint around the embossed lettering, I wonder how these were made? There must be a way of cleaning them up or restoring the black paint without damaging the embossed pieces and the patent lettering Any one any ideas??

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 15 RTs

Re: Seat cushion bolt fixing disks Restoring Body maker's plates

This is the seat block fixing disc. Anyone seen any around or know of a supplier. I Cannot post the picture afterr 5 tries so try looking here.
http://rtl960.multiply.com/photos/album/5/RT_Cushion_fixings#photo=1

Those discs were made by Winguard and I sourced some about 20 years back for someone. It took me months. Winguard are no more though.

Best solution is to have new fabricated by copying a good one.
We have used PAG in Trumpers way Hanwell W7 (now on the web) for several items including RT structural spars and the work pieces are excellent and reasonable.

Thanks for that Jack, the problem is I believe they are made of spring steel. I have many old RT seats lying around here so I will be able to scavenge enough for immediate needs, but I will try the firm in Hanwell as we have 75 cushions to do at some time and a few of these connections are rusted away.

As a matter of interest what do you mean by RT structural spars? Do you mean the horizontal U shaped pillars, the waist rails with large cut out holes, or the spars that go from the top deck to the cab cant plates, or all of the above!!?

All of the above, but in particular the curved unit between the cant rail.
Those were complex and cost a few quid to do. But they have lasted nearly 20 years now on the RT we did 3103 I recall.