ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A new owner here--RM2010 is alive and well

Just purchased RM2010 and it is is excellent condition. I am in Utah, U.S.A and have realized that my bus is all orginal still. Still have all the seats and fabric and bulb lights etc etc. I drove it about 80 miles today to bring it home, runs like a champ. I just want to dive in and make sure I am aware of suppliers, other owners, associatiions etc..so I can take care of this great bus properly. Any info would be greatly helpful.

My bus number (if any): RM2010

Re: A new owner here--RM2010 is alive and well

Ians Bus stop gives the following history;
RM2010 ALM 10B new: 11/5RM9/2, AEC AV690
8/64 new to Aldenham
9/64 AE into service on 13
65-6 AE
11/67 AE to Aldenham repaint, and return
1968 AE
from last bodyswap with B1957: Leyland engine
1/82 with Leyland engine
1/84 with Leyland engine
1/85 with Leyland engine
1/86 with Leyland engine
6/86 AL w/d from service
12/86 bought by Button Designs (London)
2/87 bought by Natham (New Orleans): exported to USA
Carlton Television Ltd, New Orleans

Does it still retain its Leyland engine (like ours)(will probably have Leyland cast into the one of the manifolds)? or has it been re-engined with somthing stateside?

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Mark Prescott
Ians Bus stop gives the following history;
RM2010 ALM 10B new: 11/5RM9/2, AEC AV690
8/64 new to Aldenham
9/64 AE into service on 13
65-6 AE
11/67 AE to Aldenham repaint, and return
1968 AE
from last bodyswap with B1957: Leyland engine
1/82 with Leyland engine
1/84 with Leyland engine
1/85 with Leyland engine
1/86 with Leyland engine
6/86 AL w/d from service
12/86 bought by Button Designs (London)
2/87 bought by Natham (New Orleans): exported to USA
Carlton Television Ltd, New Orleans

Does it still retain its Leyland engine (like ours)(will probably have Leyland cast into the one of the manifolds)? or has it been re-engined with somthing stateside?

Mark

Mark. That information is by no means complete and a bit misleading in the way its presented on Ian's site about overhauls, they were not "body swaps".
RM 2010 went to Muswell Hill following its first cycle overhaul in November 1970 where it received body B2006. It may well have a Leyland engine given its relatively early exit from service. The lack of an air breather and Leyland on the exhaust manifold should be a clue if it has the original Leyland engine.

Finding suppliers and information in the US might be difficult as a lot of red buses there seem to be Bristols converted into mobile homes. The people at Niagara falls who have a number of RMs might be a good place to start though.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 15 RTs

Yes 2010 has the Leyland engine in it

thanks for this information, much appreciated. What is the best manual to buy for my RM and from whom?

You could start here Eric, http://www.thermmanual.com/
although you might need to adjust some frequencies to the usage of your bus and its storage environment a lot of these RM Manuals are based on daily use in heavy London traffic, covered garages and regular 4 weekly inspections.

Parts and US equivalents for some oils and fluids might also be a problem, but feel free to come back with any questions. There are some helpful people in the US who know their stuff so joining the bus groups like British buses abroad in America might be useful although you will have to filter out some of the "advice" you get as frankly some on there haven't a clue about RMs and think all UK buses are Routemasters.

Brian Watkinson
Mark. That information is by no means complete and a bit misleading in the way its presented on Ian's site about overhauls, they were not "body swaps".
RM 2010 went to Muswell Hill following its first cycle overhaul in November 1970 where it received body B2006. It may well have a Leyland engine given its relatively early exit from service. The lack of an air breather and Leyland on the exhaust manifold should be a clue if it has the original Leyland engine.[/quote

Hi Brian, thanks for pointing out the limitations of what is on Ians Bus Stop - I just put it on as it is easy to copy and paste as a start of basic info, interesting that RM2010 has been in the states about the same amount of time it was in service!

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Unfortunately with the exception of some early RMs and preserved ones, the info on Ian's site is limited from around 1970 to the withdrawal years and excludes many transfers, but to be fair Ian has never claimed its complete, I just wish he would get on and finish the RTs!! Joking apart its a very time consuming job compiling histories, I have done it for buses in LT garages and its all done from books, if only the Rolling Stock variation sheets had been computerised!