ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why does it stop ?

Kindly we were allowed to borrow a 71 routemaster, but the owner was not around to give any instrustions.

Started fine, but after 20mins on so the engine loses all power, do nothing for 20mins or so, then the bused moved again, this happened continually.

Any one any thoughts, as we will be looking for a garage on Tuesday ...........

or any experts in Andover area !!

Jeremy

Re: Why does it stop ?

Difficult to diaganose from afar but the most likely cause of such drop in power is fuel problems. Could be water in the fuel, it could be the pump and/or injectors might need cleaning out. The fuel lines might be dirty, or air locked and/or the filter blocked, the tank might also contain dirty fuel, that eventually clogs the system. You could try checking the filter to see what that is like or take off a fuel line and suck fuel through if it starts to lose power. You could try the old LT remedy of when the engine has got a little bit warm of revving the bowlocks out of it!"!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 15 RTs

Hi, have experienced exactly this before. Turned out to be a rag floating around in the fuel tank. Engine starts & fines fine till the rag is sucked onto pipe then peters out and dies. Wait awhile for the rag to drift off and then start up fine and away you go again til the next time. Obviously change all the filters first, nice easy fix if it works and always worth doing even if it doesn't. If no joy, disconnect fuel feed from tank and run a direct feed pipe from a fuel can into the injector pump. Bleed it through and run enging from can, topping up as required. You'll soon see if all is well. Is so you know the tank is suspect. If not go to Plan B.

Anyone got a Plan B?!!

Good Luck.
Danny. (Upton Pk Garage: 1973-1980)

A 71 Routemaster? If you mean 1971 it won't be a Routemaster which could certainly affect the diagnosis.

Steve

I assumed that he meant an RM with route 71 on the blinds!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 15 RTs

It is a route master , must have the wrong year

Hi
Am going to be a little bit direct - please don't take offence.

People on the forum have offered some good advice but if you want help and advice that is more clearer you need to be a lot more specific about a few things
1, All Routemasters are not the same mechanically and electrically - which bus (bonnet number/reg number) is it and what engine is fitted (AEC, Leyland, Scania, Iveco or Cummins)
2, When does it not go/rev, is is when it is stationary and it will tick over but not rev up or is it when you are driving along it suddenly won't go and feels like it is running uneven or even strangled,or is it when you put it into gear etc etc and does the engine at any point cut itself out and not restart without a struggle

Post these details and better specific advice should follow

Ta

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Mark, appreciste you commensts. The bus is RM385 went to the garage and checked.

The Bus idles fine. When driven, after about 20mins, the bus no longer will generate enough revs to move. Parking up for some 10/15 mins , then the bus is ok again for another 20mins
There Is also a tendency not to like step inclines.
Max speed is 28mph

The garage is due to look for:
1. Hole if fuel pipe
2. Water in Fuel
3. Cloth in tank

Any other thoughts !!

My bus number (if any): RM385

Jeremy Harwod
Mark, appreciste you commensts. The bus is RM385 went to the garage and checked.

The Bus idles fine. When driven, after about 20mins, the bus no longer will generate enough revs to move. Parking up for some 10/15 mins , then the bus is ok again for another 20mins
There Is also a tendency not to like step inclines.
Max speed is 28mph

The garage is due to look for:
1. Hole if fuel pipe
2. Water in Fuel
3. Cloth in tank

Any other thoughts !!

Hi Jeremy

3, Cloth or big debris in tank will only be able to be identified if tank drained and removed from bus due to internal baffles compartmentalising stuff, the drain bung is very small and the stand pipe sits directly above it, the only way to get big crap out of the tank is through the filler neck.

2, Water in fuel - basically the bus wouldn't be running at all, the water sits on the bottom of the tank

1, Holes in fuel pipes may not be very obvious, pipes can be porous or not be sealed properly at joints. Flexible fuel pipes can de skin inside and the suction of the lift pump implodes the inside of the pipe causing a restriction

Also there may be a problem with the lift pump in or the diaphragm is getting weak/porous. If the engine does not cut out at all the it is likely to be a fuel restriction problem rather than getting air in the system. So tank and flexible fuel pipes would be the best place to start as suggested by other posters, although it is worth checking that the emergency fuel cut off tap and the fuel filter is ok.
Scanias tend not to be the fastest (about 36 flat out) and from my deafening experience in one not great on hills

HTH

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Maybe good news, the garage replaced the filter, but this didn't really help, we then used the bus as a police control tower at a local football match !!

Driving back it stopped and would'nt. get enough power to do more than 3 mph. So hopefully this will help get to the bottom

Thanks for all thoughts and help

From what i Remember about Rm 385 it had an iveco engine when it was based at Brixton..have no idea what it has in it now..if it has a iveco engine the most common faults with this engine for it to stop like this where 1. the little filter where the primer pump is the unions both sides used to come loose 2. the primer pump itself used to fail..3. there are 2 pipes down the side of the engine.. on the right hand side they are normally tucked inside the A frame thye normally had what i would call like garden hoses and they do go porous..if i can be any more help please just ask

My bus number (if any): Rm 997