ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is the best lubrication for my RM gearbox?

What is the best and most common lubrication to use in my gearbox? Stateside products would be helpful.

My bus number (if any): rm2010

Re: what is the best lubrication for my RM gearbox?

Fronm the guide on the main site Eric, (www.RmOOF.co.uk) it says Gearbox Oil - Liquimatic DII (or Dexron ll) - 2½ gallons gallons - 11.4 litres
Not sure of a US brand, but will find out for you.

EDIT, It can be bought as Liquimatic DII in the US from here: http://www.sngbarrattusa.com/catalogue/accessories/show.asp?id=12096&assemblyid=268&pagepos=0&back=y&next=y&senderid=1

My bus number (if any): RMC 1485 and RTL 960 plus loads of RTs

...or you can use standard 15w40 engine oil in the gearbox, as Arriva did when they were all in service in London. Thats what I use.....easier to track down, too.

My bus number (if any): RM531

It looks as if my gearbox has oil in it now,(just purchased) and it is definately not transmission oil, no cherry look or sweet smell to it. So would it be a common thing to find that their is probably regular oil in the gearbox. Which performs better, which one is easier on the box? Thanks for you info, greatly appreciate you for this.

My bus number (if any): rm2010

And remember that a US gallon is only about 80% of the size of a UK gallon...

Steve Anderson
...or you can use standard 15w40 engine oil in the gearbox, as Arriva did when they were all in service in London. Thats what I use.....easier to track down, too.

Steve, was this with the Allison gearboxes or the SCG ones?

Hi Brian, this was with the good old SCG box, not these new-fangled Allison gadgets....

My bus number (if any): RM531

Steve Anderson
Hi Brian, this was with the good old SCG box, not these new-fangled Allison gadgets....
Not quite what SCG or AEC recommended Steve, The new sold off companies tried to take "short cuts" with a few things that LT had always specified in order to save to save money, including brake shoes and what they started to use was not always a suitable replacement, The problem is a lot of the specs laid down by AEC are no longer valid today, however the oil Chris has specified is universally used in gearboxes and easily available too, both in the UK and US

I am interested in why it was decided to use a 15/40 engine oil in a transmission such as the SCG box, and who made the decision to use 15/40 engine oil. My understanding of oils is that they are produced for specific purposes. Notably ATF is used in auto transmissions, one very good reason being the temperature range these type of transmissions operate at. Can anyone enlighten me on why 15/40 oil was used in the SCG box.

My bus number (if any): RML2335

Hi Ed

Because it's easier to get than straight 30 engine oil
and covers a wider temperature range.

Engine oil in the engine and gearbox, get ours from the local Volvo dealer, 'Naturally aspirated commercial vehicle diesal engine oil' at less than £40 for a 25 litre can. Much cheaper than buying it in shops and garages and it's ok for old AEC and new Cummins etc.

Claire

My bus number (if any): RML 2330 etc

Thanks Claire
I was just curious and the cost factor was not considered. Many manual gearboxes can and do use engine oil as the lubricant. However the characteristics of epicyclic boxes with brake bands and planetary type gear wheels, benefit from ATF which not only controls temperature but helps prevent corrosion. Normal gear type boxes generate less friction, which is a reason for a different type of gear oil being used. ATF fluid is obtainable from most motor factors. Perhaps the garages were more utilitarian in their approach to maintenance, standardising where possible. The Routemaster lubrication chart does seem to list quite a few different lubricants.

My bus number (if any): RML2335