ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loss of semi-automatic mode for gears fixed.

AEC engined and un-refurbished RM238 drives beautifully and the automatic gear changes are perfect. Recently I noticed that I couldn't select 2nd or 3rd gears manually, effectively leaving me only able to drive in automatic mode. The automatic panel found 2nd & 3rd gears without any difficulty.

It sounded like an electrical problem and it was. Cleaning the contacts on the automatic panel plug and socket next to the terminal block (Christmas tree) behind the drivers head with UB40 solved the problem.

Interestingly it is not possible to select third gear manually unless the panel detects that the bus is moving! I believe that the panel is set up like this on purpose.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213

Re: Loss of semi-automatic mode for gears fixed.

Hi Chris

It is, this was to prevent Drivers pulling away in 3rd gear, a common problem with RT/RF etc buses with attendant wear on the gear train discs.

Claire :-)

My bus number (if any): 2330 etc.

Re: Loss of semi-automatic mode for gears fixed.

Hi Chris,
What could be better than driving a routemaster with a bit of UB40 in the background . Not too loud though , wouldn't want to drown that 590 out !!

mark , RML2391

PS have you got any more running days at the nvr ?

My bus number (if any): RML2391