ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routemasters on film

Anyone with 20 or so minutes free should enjoy this slice of archive film from 40 years ago with Routemasters in their prime. Cant get the link up but google www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=82987

No commentary but thats probably a plus....enjoy on full screen

Regards

Chris Stanley

My bus number (if any): RMC1500 / RF489

Re: Routemasters on film

What a cracking bit of film! Bit jerky but who cares when treated to footage like that. Can`t recall ever seeing moving film of XMS`s and XA`s. Greenline RMC`s and RF`s, roofbox RT`s and so many RM`s all moving effortlessly around central London - in the days before `traffic management` schemes. Notice how the pavements are adequate but the roads are quite wide yet free of stupidly placed islands,obstructive street furniture and, in many instances, lane markings. Yet the traffic is flowing so well. Now, forty years on, we have wider pavements and narrower carriageways used by bigger vehicles negotiating all sorts of obstacles. And then someone thought it would be a good idea to introduce Bendy Buses!! And to pedestrianise the north side of Trafalgar Square in order for it to be accredited World Heritage Status. No wonder traffic is much slower! Some progress .....

Traffic might have been moving well on this film Neil, (EDIT although look at the jam going towards Piccadilly at 5 min 29!!!) but I was driving staff buses in 1970 and on Friday nights most people on my staff bus who could, used the tube!! It often took from 30 minutes to an hour longer to do the same journey as Thursday. Kensington High Street and North End Road Fulham being two of the biggest problem areas not to mention Wandsworth and Putney Bridges. Something had to be done although I agree not all the schemes were successful including initially the Trafalgar Square one, although now people got used to it it does seem to work OK or its just people are avoiding it!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and 15 RTs

Some real gems in the passing traffic: several British Railways Karrier Bantams,an Atkinson Leader artic tanker,a few BMC threepenny-bits,and some old timers which must have been seeing out their twilight years - a Leyland Octopus and about half a dozen Thames Traders. Also look at the cars, every one is recognisable as its individual model; unlike today's euro-boxes.

Great film, I started on the buses in 1973, seems like a different world now. Someone please tell me I'm not dreaming but didn't all the buses seem spotless? I suppose the RMs weren't that old but some of the RTs would have been getting on and yet they were all absolutely gleaming, as far as I could see. Plus notice how few drivers drove with the cab night blind down? Obviously high standards being maintained during probably difficult (recruitment-wise) times.

Definitely odd 'driving' through Leicester Square!

Regards to all, Danny.

Hi

The smokers blind was only used during the day by those of us that did. Daylight use was a reportable offence but fortunatly the Officials had enough to worry about without adding to their burden. Likewise for Cdrs with incorrect rear destinations showing :-)

Claire

My bus number (if any): 2330 etc.

A remarkable piece of film with the various LT types. However being from the North the United RELH certainly surprised me in prestine condition as these fine vehicles were presented.

Good on you Chris for finding this.

My bus number (if any): RM1058