ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Disc

I've beeen sent a copy of this disc and understand that a disc like this was displayed on RMs when in service in the 1960s and 70s.

1. What is the exact purpose of the disc?

2. Where was it displayed?

I've also been given (thanks Alan and Rena) a couple of copies of LONDON TRANSPORT BOARDS's Rule Book for Drivers and Conductors, dated March 1967. Interesting reading and I'll post some of the more amusing entries between now and Christmas.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Re: Disc

Hi Chris
Would this have been something to do with LT insuring themselves ie self insuring. But needing to comply with road traffic regulations so needing to be ''insured''.
Just my thoughts
Chris

My bus number (if any): 2368

This disc goes in the third, but normally unused aperture facing in towards the cab, in the tax disc holder. It is to do with LT self-insuring and a slightly different version was used in buses as well. i will scan and post a copy of the other version at some stage.

My bus number (if any): RM 912 & RML 2455

Hi all,

I remember these from 'the old days'. Anybody, large companies, rich individuals not just LT!, was allowed to cover their own insurance. I worked for a while in LT Claims & Insurance office behind Buckingham Palace where all claims were dealt with. I'm pretty sure you had to deposit 50,000 pounds to cover any claims, (told you it was the old days!) with a government department. Can't quite recall who, I think it was the Board of Trade but I stand to be corrected

You were then left to sort out all your own business. Usually by taking so long to deal with anything that people gave up!

Regards to all,

Danny.

The disc was called 'form F'and was used by LT until it's demise in 1985. When London Buses Ltd came into being in 1986 form F could no longer be used and the one you have was the attempt to resolve the problem of the MP requiring RTA documents being produced in the events of accidents etc and it didn't work and so like all good things LT it went into the annuals of history.

ELTS ex LT buses all have form F facsimilies along with period PSV discs but they were only carried by London Transport owned vehicles including service vehicles and it didn't look like the illustration shown.

Claire

My bus number (if any): 2330 etc.

The form F which Claire refers to is not the disc you have illustrated Chris.
Form F is an ownership certificate which should show the vehicle registration number (ususally written in latterly) and be pre printed with the owning bodys' full title and quite often in the 50's60's refering to which section of the Road Transport Act dropped in the 70's and 80's i think and pre printed with the signature of the owning bodies company secretary or legal director. They were used outside London (my knowledge is based on Manchester/SELNEC/GMT) for 'publically' owned PSV's

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Form F

Thanks for all the helpful contributions above. Rob Duker has kindly sent me an image of Form F which looks like this.

The image of a disc I posted came from a London Transport Board Country Bus from the 1970s.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Re: Form F

"a London Transport Board Country Bus from the 1970s" Chris, I think you are forgetting LCBS's creation on Jan 1 1970!

As Chris Sullivan says the insurance certificate went in the third "window" in the Licence holder, I certainly remember them in the 50s and 60s but were they carried as late as 1985?
I don't remember one of these on any buses in the 70s but as most I saw were staff buses or delicensed vehicles, perhaps only buses licensed as PSVs had them? I have a couple of the Form Fs and both are completed in blue ink in a very stylish hand, I think both are originals, I doubt they were changed much throughout their lives being protected in glass and just swapped from bus to bus on overhaul. Interestingly, the London Transport Board only existed for a short period, reverting back to the Executive, however, many old timers referred to "the Board" and "the Board's property" obviously referring back to the LPTB days.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 and 15 RTs