ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rubber needed, but which?

Good morning,

we are currently changing or window rubbers and we are looking for the name (or even a supplier) for the surrounding rubber gasket (not for the glass) of the emergency window/door in the upper deck and the emergency window in the lower deck.

Thank you very much for your help, I have asked many people but nobody could help me!!!

Kind regards
Tonia

My bus number (if any): RML2386

Re: Rubber needed, but which?

As a first point of contact try Mike Fuller at the Routemaster Association http://www.routemaster.org.uk/
They have two types of rubber available, not sure which is for what though. Don't have an RML and I cannot remember what the rubber is for the O/S emergency window but many on here do and so should be able to help.

Unless the rear emergency window rubber is totally had it, try to keep it, AFAIK that rubber is no longer available. All the lipped rubber on destination glasses and the rear emergency window has been replaced by laced glazing as used on other more modern buses, although needing a special tool to fit the lace, it should be readily available from people like COH Baines Ltd, Unit 3 Buckingham House, Longfield Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 3EY +44 (0)1892 543311 or email sales@coh-baines.co.uk

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs

Hi Brian,

thanks for your answer! We bought rubber for the glass from the RMOOA but on the emergency exit/window other rubbers are needed. Unfortunately we cant use the rubber as it felt off when we opened the window.

I found a few companies which have different rubbers but they need the name of the rubber or a description but as ours is that bad it is impossible to tell event the original shape.

Thanks!
Tonia

Do you mean the rubber that holds the glass in, or the rubber that goes around the outside of the door? If you mean the exterior rubber that is available from both Woolies http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ as R679, Baines also stock it. The same rubber also goes around the exterior of the cab emergency window and windscreens.

Apologies, I just re-read the OP. I can only blame man-flu!! Ignore all the stuff about laced glazing, that is for the glass rubbers. The rubber that I have mentioned above, the R679 from Woolies is exactly what you need for the U/S rear emergency door. It also fits the windscreens and driver's cab emergency window, not sure about the O/S emergency window though, but you can see for yourself if its the same section. When you fit it, the T bar slides in very easily, leave it long for a day or so to allow for shrinkage, then cut it off leaving an inch or so where you can.

Perfect, thank you very much you really helped me!!!

Have a nice evening!
Antonia