ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
steering oil

Does anyone know if Texamatic 7045E is an acceptable alternative to Tellus?
Thanks, Sam.

My bus number (if any): RM1353

Re: steering oil

Sam Phipps
Does anyone know if Texamatic 7045E is an acceptable alternative to Tellus?
Thanks, Sam.

Texamatic 7045E is a dexron 3 oil and tellus 22 (was 23) which is the oil for the RM is a dexron 2. According to the various websites, dexron 3 oils are higher spec than Dexron 2 but can be used where Dexron 2 is specified and also mixed together, We use a tellus 22 substitute we got from Mike Fuller but I cannot lay my hands on the paperwork.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs

Thank you, that is reassuring. I was taking the garage's word for it but was not entirely convinced...

My bus number (if any): RM1353

Dexron 2 is an automatic transmission fluid, Dexron 3 is a higher spec ATF with more additives and both are priced accordingly. Tellus and its equivalents are cheaper zinc free hydraulic oils and it is this oil that should be used in the braking system.
So the answer is no.

roy
Dexron 2 is an automatic transmission fluid, Dexron 3 is a higher spec ATF with more additives and both are priced accordingly. Tellus and its equivalents are cheaper zinc free hydraulic oils and it is this oil that should be used in the braking system.
So the answer is no.

No it cannot be used or no it cannot be mixed? Many websites disagree that it cannot be used where a dexron 2 is specified and as far as I can see it would do no damage to the RM braking system, although good practice might be not to mix different spec oils, yes dex 3 is dearer but apart from that, what harm would a a dexron 3 spec oil cause?

During LT years Metrobuses used huge quantities of Dexron but the order was to never use Dexron in any RM class vehicles. Tellus was always the only fluid used on RMs.

Jack Norie
During LT years Metrobuses used huge quantities of Dexron but the order was to never use Dexron in any RM class vehicles. Tellus was always the only fluid used on RMs.

According to some oil supplier's websites, Tellus 22 is listed as having a similar spec to Dexron 2 oils.

However as Roy has pointed out dexron is a transmission fluid and Tellus a hydraulic drive fluid, the mixing of the two although said to be OK on many 4x4 US websites is not recommended by manufacturer's who specify Tellus 22 and LT seem to have taken the same stance. There are however alternatives to Tellus 22, we got ours from Northampton, I'll find out the brand.

From the technical info supplied by Morris oils, their Dexron 2 product has a viscosity of 35.8 and their Tellus 22 product has a viscosity of 21.9.
Their Dexron 3 product is of similar viscosity to their Dexron 2, but is a semi synthetic oil.

It will be those owners/drivers who don't bother to check whether their bus has at least 9 brake applications before the flag falls, every time they take over the vehicle, who will be in danger of a brake failure. Pipes and pumps have been known to burst due to using an oil that is too thick. In other non Routemaster applications, seals have failed because the oil added has been incorrect.
The information contained in the various technical publications available from the Routemaster Association gives details of what oils to use and why to avoid others.