ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2BA captive nuts

In the cab of the RM almost all the fixings are 2BA bolts. Those that fix switch covers, dashboard cover, blind cord hook, timecard holder handbrake stay etc to the cab structure all have a captive nut of one sort or another to hold the bolt. Some are clip on type where access can easily be got to the captive "nut", others like on the dashboard or engine shield are of a more substantial design being an oval assembly with a thread held in the centre and the whole thing riveted to the panel with two small rivets. This was also the original method of fixing the handrails and light fittings on the rear frame and is also used on many other parts of the bodywork.

I have done a Goggle and found nothing like them in the UK. So, anyone replaced any of these and if so how did you do it? I have managed to get to the lower windscreen winding gear on RMC 1458 and freed it but in doing so a couple of the 2BA bolts sheered and so the captive nuts need replacing.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs

Re: 2BA captive nuts

Hi Brian,
Is this the sort of thing you are after?

http://www.tridentracing.co.uk/info/fastas.htm

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM13

Re: 2BA captive nuts

Exactly the ones. Thanks Rob. Is that what you have used for RM13?

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs