ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winsdcreen rubbers

I need to think about re-rubbering the windscreen seals on 1001. It is very leaky on wet weather and the rubber is fairly perished thru old age. I know that COH Baines of Tunbridge Wells can supply the rubber. Has anyone out there re-rubbered their screens and if so just how difficult is it. Any hints and tips would be most welcomed.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Re: Winsdcreen rubbers

Hi Mike
The rubber to use as recommended somewhere else here is from Baines, its IRS 0271-4.75MM, it was £2.60 a metre last year.

In theory its quite easy, however that does not allow for buggerance factors! The biggest problem is getting the set screws - which are very short - out of the fixing bars, in the case of the top screen, the bottom bar and vice-versa for the lower screen. There are four set screws in each corner. If they come out OK you are laughing. If not then you have to soak them for as long as you can in plus gas or something similar, if they have snapped or refuse to come out, then drilling and tapping is the only answer.

The fixing angles are brass strip bent into a right angle with 2 holes top and 2 on the side, these can also cause problems if they have fractured, but they can be welded and oversized holes filled although I have only done this with RTs.
The rest is fairly simple, take out the glass with the old rubber, (hoping nobody has used silicone) replace rubber, cut rubber to size, refit glass and rubber to the frame. Refit the angles to the fixing bar. Offer bar to the frame, find the holes in the side of the frame with an awl, refit the screws, not tightening any until all are threaded.

If you replace any screws they must be cut to the same length as the old ones or you will hear a nasty crackling sound as the corner of your screen cracks where the screw has touched the edge.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs

Are you talking about the windscreen frame seals, or the actual glass seal???

My bus number (if any): RM531

Steve Anderson
Are you talking about the windscreen frame seals, or the actual glass seal???

I assumed the latter as the exterior seal is so easy to do with Woolies R679 and a bit of black tape for the angled joints necessary on the top screen

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs

As Brian states it is a fairly sraightforward job, a little tip I was given; Once you have separated the bar slightly release each side of the screen frame as it will allow you to remove the glass easier. However WARNING!!!! to my cost YOU MUST USE GLOVES AND BE CAREFUL because the likely hood is the glass has bonded with the old rubber your hands slip and down to the bone the glass will go, OUCH!!!

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RMC1490, RML2515, RMA14, RF48, RF397

I am just re-rubbered my upper windscreen and the R679 appears to be 3 - 4 mm narrower than the old rubber that I am replacing.

Has anyone else found this ?

I assume that once both screens are complete with the same rubber, you will never spot the difference !

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Andrew Morgan
I am just re-rubbered my upper windscreen and the R679 appears to be 3 - 4 mm narrower than the old rubber that I am replacing.

!

I have found the Woolies version is certainly not as wide Andrew, though not as much as 4mm.
I think, the Baines version of this is slightly wider but the R679 certainly does the job and as you say if both are done it matches.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585 aand RTL 960