ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A & B Frames

I was looking through some of my LT `bits` last night and found something that may be of use / interest. Maybe it`s something that is in general circulation with many RM owners knowing of it. Maybe it`s not....

It`s an official LT diagram showing the potential fracture spots on A and B frames. Issued by the `Department of the Chief Mechanical Engineer` it highlights 12 A frame problem areas and 26 on B frames. The date on the chart is 28/10/63. That seems to suggest that a hell of a lot of frame failures were being noted so early in Routemaster life - especially as half of them hadn`t even been built then .

This was presumably the chart circulated to garages in order that rota inspections could be directed to known weak spots for early detection. The chart I have came from Poplar Garage.

Were all these possible weak points an ongoing Routemaster feature or were changes made in the light of early failings to actually reduce the number of potential problem spots. Difficult to imagine how that could have been achieved so are we to assume that this chart is as relevant now as it was in 1963?

It`s a very clear chart with each problem spot marked with an X and numbered. If the numbers relate to a `severity indication` or a specific course of action to be taken I`m afraid I don`t have the resultant list of each mark. The chart is much bigger than A3 size - even if the edges were trimmed it would require two A3 sheets to copy it. But if this isn`t something that has been generally available I would like to find a way of making it so as I`m sure it has a place in Routemaster preservation.

Re: A & B Frames

I would be very interested in a copy.
My RM had a cracked B Frame when I bought it, but I was able to get it welded up ok.
The dreawings that I have borrowed in the past from RMOOA I took to my local Pronoprint and got them copied, some I got them to scan and email me a pdf file.
I would be happy to get them copied and circulated

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM13

Hi Rob

If you email me your address I`ll put one in the post to you. You`re probably more in touch with RM owners than I am so if there`s an onward way of circulating it I`d be pleased to think it might help others.

Regards
Neil

I'd be pleased to post it on the RmOOF website.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Hi Chris

Great idea to make it available through this site.
Are you going to use the one I`ve sent Rob or do you want me to send you one too?

Regards

Neil and all
As the drawing is dated 1963 it should not be treated with any alarm and may be related to the programme of modifications carried out on front boats and A frames at Aldenham. This programme apparently has caused quite a lot of problems to record keepers as the A frames were taken out, and replaced by a float of A frames already prepared for refitting, with it being intended as was the case with accident damaged A frames and B frames, the A frame numbers being taken off the old frame and put on the modified frame but according to Lionel Moss whom many will know, this didn't happen and its said the gang doing this just used the first plates in the tin and put them on the replacement frame!! In addition, all A and B frames were thoroughly checked and repaired on overhaul and the RMLs had a similar treatment on refurbishment.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs