ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where ?

Hi All

Does anyone know of any good sprayers where i could get my Routemaster painted? Ive had a look around and there are a few that come up but does anyone recommend anyone ?

Cheers all

Re: Where ?

Hi

London Bus and Truck Ltd, Dartford, Kent.

Claire

My bus number (if any): 2330 etc.

I have no idea whom the refinishers are. but whoever refinished the Timebus fleet has done wonders, the finish is better than original and seems to be durable.
Maybe worth a call to Timebus and ask them.

Hi Harry,

Silver Autos in Newcastle under Lyme.

Excellent job for around £1500.00

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RMC1490, RML2515, RMA14, RF48, RF397

http://www.thebusworks.co.uk/ repanel and hand paint with high quality brushing enamel. They did a good job on three of my RMs and also painted Mark's bus. Three years on they all still look great.

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM2213

Hi Harry,
No doubt about it whatsoever, London Bus And Truck at Northfleet, I got my bus back from them 2 months ago, the finish is supurb. If you are in the North Herts area you are welcome to pop in and have a look.
Harry H.

My bus number (if any): RM 822

Re:Paint work

Hi Harry,

My advice would be to have it sprayed using two pack paint as it should then last 10 years. I had ours done with London Bus and Truck and will be sending our next bus there. The finish is excellent, also a good thickness of paint.

The only additional advice I would give that you come to a clear agreement as to the exact work that is to be done and visit to check on progress to make sure it is being done exact requirements.

Very nice people to deal with, you can look at our website to see various pictures of our bus since it has been painted by them -

www.londonbus4hire.com

Regards

Martin

My bus number (if any): RM2583

Re: Re:Paint work

My vote would go to London Bus and Truck as well. 1699 was repannelled just over 12 months ago and despite getting the vinyls wrong (wrong style and so had to obtain correct ones from Squirrell Preservation)I was very impressed with the result.

You can judge for yourself with the following link http://keithsbuspictures.fotopic.net/p60322426.html

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69(KHC369)

Good morning everybody,

does anybody know a company which repaints a RML "cheap"? As we want to wrap it in a few months I dont want (and cant) spend too much for the paint.

I wish I could post some pictures that you can see our progress, but I dont know how?

Thanks!
Tonia

My bus number (if any): RML2386

Tonia

What do you mean "wrap it?" If you mean apply vinyls, then any paint job will be a waste of money.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458 RM 1585 RTL 960 and 15 RTs

Hi Brian,

yes we will apply vinyls, but not before 6 months and we have to paint it as she looks horrible at the moment (old panels, new panels,from red, white, pink we have every colour). We sanded it down as we planned to paint it ourselves but I heard that it would be possible to get the painting job cheaper than expected (I thought it would cost about 2000) and that we shouldnt ruin the bus by doing it ourselves.

Thanks!
Tonia

Quite honestly, I would not worry about getting it painted, its not going to rust, LT had an unpainted RM for quite a time in the 60s In addition there is at least RM around (14?) that needs a repaint and one that actually lacks panels.

Vinyl will take any fresh paint off when you remove it. We do our own painting after jobs and now often have to change the base colour, so buses are stripped of old vinyls, rubbed down and wait for new ones to be put on, For other work we spray paint them, but no good to you as we are in central France.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458 RM 1585 RTL 960 and 15 RTs

What a shame you are not here :). We need to paint it as we would probably scare our customer. If anybody knows something below 1500 it would be great if you could write me!

Thanks!
tonia

If you really want to paint it, just dust coat it in self etch primer to protect the alloy.
It's a total waste of money painting it if you are going to apply vinyls to it.
When removed they cause huge amounts of damage and it will cost £££££££ in prep alone as it will need complete bare metal stripping to remove the lumps, bumps and air pockets that will otherwise occur.
When the bus is decorated all you really need do is to paint what still shows.
Things like the wheels, grille and non vinyl areas.
Then spend the money saved on painting properly after the stint.
Your client need not be concerned of its pre-liveried condition. To be honest it's reliability and mechanical condition ought to be of paramount concern. A breakdown, accident or no show will be far more damaging.

If the client is worth thier salt then they will already know that.