ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEA Trailers

I have just tracked down and purchased this prototype trailer, which I believe is a one-off and designed and built by London Transport for the London to Heathrow run behind the BEA Routemasters. I think RMF 1254 towed this around for a while. This may have been the last bit of kit that was designed and built by London Transport. It is a superb bit of engineering which I don't think ever went into production, I guess it would have been too expensive, the trailer they used was definitely built to a price.

http://rob-duker.fotopic.net/c1816985.html

Does anyone have any info or history on this trailer, so I can get all my facts right?

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): BEA1

Re: BEA Trailers

Hi Rob

If it was built by LT it was in the Experimental Shop at Chiswick. Colin Curtess might know for certain. I only remember the Marshalls? built trailers that were actually overhauled in the High Bay at Aldenham. A lot of the overhaul was strengthening on the framework and doors. I can't remember exactly when that was though I would guess around 1970. That trailer must be the one trialled on the back of RMF 1254.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458

A black & white photo of RMF1254 carrying this trailer exists somewhere on the net Rob. I'll try and find it for you.How's the restoration work coming along with RM13?

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner), RMLs891, 2358, 2432, 2697/RCL2223 (Driver)

Hi there is a picture of rmf1254 towing a trailer. If you go to msn and type in rmf1254, then go to page 3 and click on the heading photos of london transport buses 1972-1990 and scroll down the page you will see the photo. Denis

My bus number (if any): rml 2613

Here is the picture Denis mentioned above

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

I have found out a bit more info on the trailer. It was designed and drawn at Chiswick, it was then made by a company called Bramber Engineering of Cricklewood.
It was a one off and ended up being used in service with all the other trailers, they called it 'The Dust Cart'
I am still looking for a photo of it in service, there must be one out there.

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): BEA1

Geoff Rixons latest book, Routemaster Compendium has 1254 with it's original trailer (which had a GRP domed roof and dual doors with a bar in between.

Two original trailers sat alongside a later one in a yard beside Northfields Tube station for years between 1971 and 1998

the later trailers were built by Locomotors. I have the drawings somewhere and the wiring digram if anyone is ever interested. I restored one for someone years ago but he never collected it. i gave it away to an operator in Worcester Park. I don't know what he done with it.

My bus number (if any): RML2532;GS67;RT2629;MLL721;MLL738. MFM38 (Bedford OB)