ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Batteries

The batteries in 1699 have just given up after at least 12 years in the bus - I've never replaced them since I acquired the vehicle in 1998!

I'm looking for advice on a supplier for replacement and wondered if anyone had any suggestions regarding make and suppliers. I've been informed that Shield Batteries can supply a 12V for around £70 and that these used to be sued by LT.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69(KHC369)

Re: Batteries

The ones you HAD sound good Steven! - were they 12v or 6v? How many aH because I suspect mine are under-powered?

My bus number (if any): RML2302

They were 12V Varta batteries - 120aH I think, but will check and confirm.

I think that they'd been on the bus for at least a couple of years before I became its owner in 1998, so probably the best part of 15 years old. If I find a replacement with a simliar level of longevity, I'd be doing very well!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69(KHC369)

Thanks Steven - that sounds a similar capacity to mine but it would be interesting to know the actual rating. I read somewhere that some Routemasters in service in final years had gel type batteries but I suspect they are pretty expensive. Would be interesting to know what the Heritage buses use.

Stephen,

Manbat can supply off the shelf circa £50.00 each.

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RMC1490, RML2515, RMA14, RF48, RF397

Hi M8,
Replaced the 4 x 6volt batts in 308 last year.
I simply measured the size of the batt box went to an auto elec/batt dealer in Swansea and asked for the best I could get to fit the size!!

I ended up with 2 x 12 volt at a cost of £64.00 each...work well!

My bus number (if any): RM308

I bough four 6 volt batteries from Shield about 18 months ago and paid over £400. £100 to £130 for two 12 volt sounds a great saving if they work. You can get terminals for post-type batteries that have a bolt & wingnut suitable for the cables fitted to RMs which have two-holed PSV type connectors.

I'd be interested in the battery type numbers for suitable 12 volt batteries that would fit in the space.

I'm currently using four 12 volt computer uninterruptable power supply batteries in series and parallel on RM471. They were being scrapped after three years service. They have the same footprint as the 6 volt batteries so fit easily into the space, they are taller but that isn't a problem. They aren't the right type of batteries for the job but were great value (free, previously used by a major high street bank now owned by us) and are doing the job fine for the time being!

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

It's worth looking at Hawker- Siddeley tank batteries MOD spec.
They are exceptionally reliable in all weathers and hold a dormant charge for a very long time.
They are not cheap but not as high as some of the quotes mentioned here. Well maintained, ie charged occasionally, they should last 12 - 15 years.

Also a way of keeping your batteries in tip top condition which is the key to longevity is to use a solar powered trickle charger which only charges when the battery drops to a certain level. It cannot overcharge.

We use 2 x12 volt car ones and as the vehicle is stored in darkness, they are on long leads and hung from the skylight.
So far starting has been as though the batteries are brand new.

Hi Jack - I've been using the solar chargers to but find they don't seem to make much diference. How have you got them connected? I was also interested in Chris's parallel/series arrangement of the 4x12v batteries - must give more durability and starting power I would have thought.

I found the the car ones were a little too weak for the hi amp commercial 12v.
So I hunted around and found commercial vehicle versions from the USA.

Bought on the internet and came in at about £25 each. Can't recall the brand name though.

We have two and they are connected on croc clips direct to each battery.
The batteries are disconnected from the + but still earthed.

We're looking to fit a plug connection via a diverting device which will be concealed but easily accessible to make it easier and may be able to add the charging point on the battery side of the LT type isolator.
This summers mod.

Thanks Jack, that's helpful. I think the output from the car ones I have is only 1 watt so I suppose it is not surprising they don't make much difference.

I forgot to add that they really only work with fully charged batteries that they will keep fully charged by just trickle charging as a drop occurs
They won't charge a low battery.
The good point is that a fully charged battery kept in top charge will last much longer is less likely to degrade.

We also use 'Batt-Aid' tablets which also keep the corrosion at bay.

Calcium batteries are also better charge holding for less used vehicles.

Batteries

Hello Brian, this is how I have wired two pairs of type 655 surplus uninterruptable power supply batteries in parallel using 50mm cable in RM471.

I know they aren't the right kind of batteries for the task and I accept that there are problems with using batteries in parallel like this but it has worked well for a year. There is plenty of reserve cranking power even at -5C.

The 655s have the same footprint as the standard 6 volt batteries so they fit the battery compartment well despite being quite a lot taller.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Thanks Chris - an impressive bit of crochet!! The batteries fit extremely neatly don't they - looks like they're made for the job even if they're not! That reserve power must be great.