ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML2354 has been saved, RML2609 could also be rescued?

As some of you may already be aware of, the hulk of RML2354 has been purchased and towed out of Barnsley. I understand the individual who bought the bus is looking to re-build it despite it being minus a driver's cab & platform. Having viewed photos of ex-Westbourne Park RML2609, I would say it looks even more savable than RML2354 as 2609's platform and staircase are still intact. If someone who obviously has plenty of money is willing to embark on a rescue project for this bus,there are quite a few RMs & RMLs such as 1245, 1725, 2410 & 2630 which would come in very useful as donor vehicles. I don't know if RML2354's new owner reads or posts on this forum and I wish them all the best in their re-building project, but I would like to think this would give he or she something to think about. Should they or someone else decide to drag 2609 out of Barnsley, there is plenty of room to store the bus and any donor RMs at our Beith Transport premises for only £47 per bus per month. I honestly thought 2354 was beyond saving as that bus had lost its cab AND platform, but if the person who has salvaged its hulk has come to the conclusion that 2354 IS savable, then why not 2609 as well?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/routemaster/2459459072/in/set-72157615625528998/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/routemaster/2458619833/in/set-72157615625528998/
http://www.mikehurley.fotopic.net/p35345985.html
http://www.mikehurley.fotopic.net/p35345978.html
http://www.mikehurley.fotopic.net/p35345988.html

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner), RMLs891, 2358, 2432, 2697/RCL2223 (Driver)

Re: RML2354 has been saved, RML2609 could also be rescued?

Graham
Those photos by Mike Hurley are four years old and sadly Mike is no longer with us to verify if these vehicles are in the same state as then. But my man in Barnsley tells me very little is left on the surviving RMs and they are not going to be there for ever, so 2354 might be the best of what is left.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585 aand RTL 960

Neil Scullion, RM1807 & RML2484's owner may be going down to Barnsley to see if he can get some seat frames for 1807 Brian, so I'll ask him to check RML2609 out and take some photos. It may indeed have been picked to bits since Mike took those photos of its interior four years ago, but the Flickr photos of 2609's platform which apart from missing panels is intact and front end were taken by Liam Doyle and I believe not all that long ago.Since RMs997, 2112 & RML2354 have all recently been rescued, with 2609, you never know, that could still be salvageable as well?

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner), RMLs891, 2358, 2432, 2697/RCL2223 (Driver)

Hi Graham. I was at Barnsley just before chrismtas and i can not remember seeing RML2609 in the yard. There is not much left for the picking from whats left of the remaining RMs.

My bus number (if any): rml 2613

Graham Laurie
Neil Scullion, RM1807 & RML2484's owner may be going down to Barnsley to see if he can get some seat frames for 1807

These were all stacked in the L/S of one bus last time I was there, I had hoped to go when I was in Barnsley in early January but due to the heavy snow it was not possible, but my mate John has been there and reported as some might have seen the DMSs were being extracted ready for breaking and as said above, there are few RMs left with any easily removable parts.

Look here http://rtl960.multiply.com/photos/album/6/RMs_at_PVS_taken_by_John_Shellard

Hope the link works If anyone wants to try and post some pictures here feel free, I tried but failed!

All the seats are in RM 1327 which is the best of the survivors, RML 2354 is still at PVS. Not sure if RML 2609 is still there but two years ago it ha lost its rear frame and some of the cab. The pictures of 1782 are last week, the others are not recent but the condition of RM 1327 has not changed significantly from that shown

I see that RML 2630 is mentioned in this thread.
This was the best RML at Hanwell by far and was one that was blinded for the HL 65 sunday service. In part, because it, for some reason, had a better paint job than others and was always mechanically and operationally reliable.
I was very surprised to hear it had not survived into preservation or further use.

What has happened to it? Where is it now?
As for the pictures Brian posted of the scrappers in Barnsley. There are a lot of very rare parts exposed there that will become very rare and expensive to replicate in the not too distant future.
Structural spars, framework, stair parts roof panels inner panels, many of which have been found to be seriously corroded of fatigued on quite decent looking preserved vehicles.

I am surprised that a few scrappers have not been acquired by the RMOOA as a carefully dismantled RM can fit into a far smaller space than a standing bus and would be a source of a lot of those rarer spares.
Maybe the new spares and parts set up will make moves for a better policy and practice.

Brian Watkinson
Look here http://rtl960.multiply.com/photos/album/6/RMs_at_PVS_taken_by_John_Shellard

Hope the link works If anyone wants to try and post some pictures here feel free, I tried but failed!

All the seats are in RM 1327 which is the best of the survivors, RML 2354 is still at PVS. Not sure if RML 2609 is still there but two years ago it ha lost its rear frame and some of the cab. The pictures of 1782 are last week, the others are not recent but the condition of RM 1327 has not changed significantly from that shown

Thanks for showing us those photos Brian which I've bookmarked. Sadly it looks as if RML2609 has had its time but the hulk of the bus COULD still be useful as a donor? As for RM1327, that may be a worthwhile re-building project. Spoke to Carl English last night and he is still short of seat frames for RM1822. I'll contact him tonight, tell him to phone Geoff Laverack and head up to Barnsley ASAP also he has you to thank once he gets the seats he needs.

Thanks again Brian