ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake Accumulator connections leaking

We have had an enquiry about a brake accumulator on an RML leaking fluid at the connections, I know its difficult doing maintenance and diagnostics from afar but any suggestions appreciated. Its the rear accumulator with the three connections. They have tried re-connecting the hoses but the leak appears to be from below the connections.

Apart from taking it off and sending to the UK for service exchange,(which would cause real problems as we would have to loan one of ours as they must move the bus by 10 April), anyone any other suggestions or had similar problems?

If we have to lend them one whilst their one is repaired any suggestions of an alternative to Imperial? Anyone used Routemaster buses in Crewe?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 and RM 1585

Re: Brake Accumulator connections leaking

hi Brian,

We have got both types of accumulators overhauled in stock.

Contact me off forum if you require help

Andy

My bus number (if any): too many

Hi Brian,
Just for info, I rang Imperial Engineering last week,they would charge £245.00, I believe that they sub the work out to Hebble Hydraulics, who I also rang, they would only charge you £130.00.

There are
Hebble Hydraulics
tel 01484 846688

Regards

Rob

http://rob-duker.fotopic.net/

My bus number (if any): RM13 etc

Brian Watkinson
They have tried re-connecting the hoses but the leak appears to be from below the connections.

If we have to lend them one whilst their one is repaired any suggestions of an alternative to Imperial? Anyone used Routemaster buses in Crewe?

Are the hose connections actually banjo ones that go onto the accumulator, in which case what state are the copper washers in that go either side of the banjo connections?

Andy H offer of contact is good as I beleive that Routemaster Buses (Graham Meadows et al) have ready overhauled units on the shelf to exchange

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

That was why I asked Rob, the last one cost us £225 plus postage which I got for £25 - £65 less than Imperial quoted.

Andy we are not in trouble the owners of RML 2667 are as they have the leak problem and its used as a mobilre church!! We can help them out and get the bus going by loaning them one off RM 1585 but we need to get their one fixed.

What timescales and prices are we talking here for service exchanges?

I will contact you off the Forum for a quote.

Thanks to you both for prompt replies

Mark P
Brian Watkinson
They have tried re-connecting the hoses but the leak appears to be from below the connections.

Are the hose connections actually banjo ones that go onto the accumulator, in which case what state are the copper washers in that go either side of the banjo connections?

Andy H offer of contact is good as I beleive that Routemaster Buses (Graham Meadows et al) have ready overhauled units on the shelf to exchange

Mark
Thanks Mark I'll pass that on.
PS any luck finding those pull springs?

Copper washers - dreadful things, about the only good thing you can say about them is that they go a long, long way if you throw them over the hedge. Only available in quantities of about 200 or in a selection box full of the sizes you don't want, for about £30. Then there is the choice of metric, imperial or BSP. So thats £90 spent and the thing still leaks because the facings they seal against are scored or nicked. Clean everything up, anneal the washer with a blow lamp and the blxxxy thing still leaks. Last resort dribble Wellseal over the partially loosened connection and keep the fingers crossed.

Alternatively use Dowty washers instead, but note that the shank of a banjo bolt is often a different diameter to the thread so two separate sizes are needed.