ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
King Pins

I need 2 King Pin kits (pins, bushes, thrust washers etc) for my RM, can anyone tell me who would have them in stock?

All we found wrong with RM1357 was a small amount of play in the King pins so I think I might as well do it now before I start operating with it.

If anyone could tell me the best place to get them I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583 and RM1357

Re: King Pins

Martin
Nobody had any ideas when I posted the same question a while back. Apparently the problem is LT used different standards (sizes) for these and the pins and bushes were matched to the standard, so its hard to get exact matches, I think there were three different standards at Chiswick, The advice I had was to get the pins off and get them metal sprayed and chromed.

Someone suggested that the RM and Atlanteans had similar king pins but as I wanted RT ones specifically I didn't pursue that possibility. A lot of people it appears also pack these with grease, but that might be OK for class 5 buses used on the odd running day but not for service use, unless they are not badly worn.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458 RM 1585 and RTL 960

Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Colin the Doc gave me the following contact -

DAVY ENGINEERING
SOLIHULL WEST MIDLANDS
0121 711 4060

ask for 2nd standard
cost £118 + VAT
next day delivery

Unfortunately they didn't have 2nd standard they only had standard 3 so I have ordered two of these in the hope that these will be ok, won't know until I get it apart, will let you know. In the meantime I will also try to purchase some standard 2 ones.

Hi Martin
Not sure you should get any size without first checking how worn yours are, unless the pins are badly pitted you might already have 3rds. (I think that was how they went, 1 was as new then out to 3 (and 4 and 5 plus sleeves for some parts buts its a long time ago since I worked in the Planning Office at Chiswick! If the pins are not badly pitted and evenly worn you might just be able to match and change the bushes, but remember LT changed the front axles at least every 6 years if not more frequently so using oversized bushes might be a false economy putting off the inevitable

I might contact those people and see if they can do the RT ones as nobody in the RT fraternity can suggest a supplier and we have a couple that really need doing, not having had a new axle for many years now.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458 RM 1585 and RTL 960

Hi,

Contact Graham Meadows (07932 163 025) all stages availiable.

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RML2515, RCL2243, NGT RCN701, RF48, RF392, RF462, RF556, RML2354

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that.

Martin