ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM577 - Change of owner

I am as of today the proud owner of RM577, which I bought from well-known bus restorer Mike Fuller. Mike has repainted it silver (it carries B664 body which belonged to RM664, the original unpainted Silver Lady).

Photos available on my website.

I still have to complete the interior, then try for a class 5 MOT. All being well, I hope to meet some of you at some occasions later in the year.

My bus number (if any): RM577

Re: RM577 - Change of owner

Hi John,
Good luck with your new purchase , look forward to seeing 577 out and about soon . Not sure where you're based but the Peterboro' bus rally (july 11th) is a nice friendly event organised by this forum's owner Chris Dobbing and I expect you would be more than welcome to bring 577 .

Cheers

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

I am based near Kimbolton, about 10 miles from St Neots, and not too far from Peterborough, so I might well make that rally in July.

Look forward to meeting fellow Routemaster-owners.

John B

Hi John,

For a few weeks I have been the proud owner of the last but one bus that Mike sold - RM1357.

This was peviously the Navy Sea Cadets Bus and Mike spent a considerable amount of time and money converting it back to its original state, replacing a lot of its original features which got ripped out when the Navy converted the inside to a submarine interior.

We are currently preparing it for class 6 MOT and over the winter will be completing the interior where Mike left off.

The other similarity is that both these buses finished their time with Reading Mainline. I do have some pictures of the Silver Lady taken during its repaint. I am more than happy to post them on here if you would like me to.

Regards,

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583 and RM1357

Hi Martin

I hear you drove back to Wales successfully. That takes some nerve when the bus had not been run since I dont know how long!

Today I drove RM577 10 miles home from the paint shop to its new home near St Neots. Arrived safely but the batteries are u/s and the engine is knocking a bit - still well pleased to get it home. It had not run for about 10 years.

John.

Good luck with your new purchase. Mike has done a cracking job on the out side and I look forward to seeing the whole bus completed. Having seen Mikes collection of buses which have now been sold, I hope we shall see mikes work being carried on.

Many thanks

David

My bus number (if any): RM1403

John,
Your well located , slap bang in the middle of about 4 or 5 owners ! I'm near to you living in Rushden . We do have the occasional get together , the last one was in early February at Old Warden.
All being well I will be at the Rushden cavalcade this weekend with RML2391 .

Cheers
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

yes, please see website

james b
are you restoring it to the silver lady

For the record "james B" when did you acquire RM 1562 as I have it as owned by First London.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

First hurdle is MOT. She's running rough at present and needs an exhaust section replacing.

Certainly aim for Showbus. But hope she's ready before then.

John B

Brian Watkinson
James B
are you restoring it to the silver lady?

For the record "James B" when did you acquire RM1562 as I have it as owned by First London?

James replied: "I use RM1562 because it was my fave at Sovereign

Brian, you know as well as I do that James doesn't own RM1562, nor is he in the privileged position that you and I are of owning a Routemaster. I don't really see an issue therefore as to why James shouldn't name RM1562 as his bus, he did after all work on this bus during its stint on the 13's when he was a conductor. You could say it was his shop floor, not to mention the fact that 1562 is the only Heritage Routemaster with a Cummins B Euro 3 engine. I also hold a special fondness for three of the buses I conducted on and drove when they were in the Kelvin Scottish/Kelvin Central Buses fleet, two of which are now back in service in London on the 15H, RMs1933 & 1941. My former steady shift bus and another I have fond memories of driving, RM606 is still in Scotland undergoing restoration at the Scottish Vintage Vehicle Museum in Lathalmond, Fife.

I cannot therefore help but think Brian that your comments towards James were sarcastic and a little snobbish, rubbing it into him that he doesn't own a Routemaster?

If you are going to be so pernickity, then I'll alter the status of my 'Bus Number' icon so there can be no mistake as to what Routemaster I own and what ones I don't.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (Have owned this bus since December 2004) RMs1933 & 1941 (Conducted on them with Kelvin Scottish) RM606 (Drove it with Kelvin Central Buses)