ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum

Good morning one and all!

A thought which has been niggling away in the back of my mind over the last few weeks, which I thought I would share..

In Routemaster circles we have been blessed with this fine forum which has been good humored, interesting and very accessable sharing information and generally helping the hobby we all enjoy. Other forums exist which have turned into political and argumentative platforms but not so with this one.

Many of you own more than 1 bus, an RT or RF or even a GS and my thought is, has anyone developed a forum for owners of earlier types of London buses??

Spare parts, knowledge and memory are becoming difficult commodoties so the question is;

1. Is there an information highway to support ongoing ownership/ restoration

2. If there isn't do we need one??

Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Andy

p.s. looks like I might have put my head above the paraphet here..

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RML2515, RCL2243, NGT RCN701, RF48, RF392, RF462, RF556, RML2354

Re: Forum

Andy H
Good morning one and all!

A thought which has been niggling away in the back of my mind over the last few weeks, which I thought I would share..

In Routemaster circles we have been blessed with this fine forum which has been good humoured, interesting and very accessible sharing information and generally helping the hobby we all enjoy. Other forums exist which have turned into political and argumentative platforms but not so with this one.

I would suggest maybe changing the name of the forum to "The London Bus Owner's Forum", so info can be exchanged on Routemasters, RTs, Regals Merlins etc?
Many of you own more than 1 bus, an RT or RF or even a GS and my thought is, has anyone developed a forum for owners of earlier types of London buses??

Spare parts, knowledge and memory are becoming difficult commodoties so the question is;

1. Is there an information highway to support ongoing ownership/ restoration

2. If there isn't do we need one??

Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Andy

p.s. looks like I might have put my head above the paraphet here..

My bus number (if any): RML2271

Andy
It is of course up to Chris what happens to this Forum, but there are two information sources already for the RT family, RF and GS etc owners. One is the Friends of Classic London Buses of the Fifties ( I did not choose the title, blame Mike Lloyd and David Thrower for that). This is a newsletter that took over from the RT/RF Register and takes the form of a monthly newsletter which can be received by E mail for about £8 a year. It deals with parts, suppliers and maintenance issues and avoids RMs seeing the RMOA as the club for RM owners.

There is also the old bus owners mail group but that is severely handicapped by the refusal of its owner to allow pictures to be posted even if it aids understanding due allegedly to many "members" most of whom never posted a thing still having dial up internet. They also will not entertain an interactive Forum such as this as many say they have been in them and find they get into arguments, a feature that this Forum does not suffer from....... yet.
I would support the idea of an RT/RM infoo type Forum as long as it is for bus owners and operators such as the ROOF forum is, it does not detract from the CLB newsletter and as stated earlier it has the full support of Chris Dobbing whose word on this must be final.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458 RM 1585 RTL 960

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the comments and I must admit that the hought of expanding this forum wasn't on my horizon, however as you say if Chris wanted to then great!

The point im trying to get across is that as you are probably aware information and parts are becoming difficult and following the success of this forum I would like to either (i) create a new forum for other LT types or (ii) as you say expand this one.

Andy

ps. Have you any spare rear light lenses for RT/RF???

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RML2515, RCL2243, NGT RCN701, RF48, RF392, RF462, RF556, RML2354

Which rear lens Andy? Original RT? If you mean the small round red stop and police light ones then sorry no as most of ours have been painted over and any form of paint stripper or cleaner ruins the perspex as I have already found. Maybe Mr Duker, Ms Green or David Thrower can help or tell of a source?

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458 RM 1585 RTL 960

Hi Brian,

Actually the double arrow o/s indicator lens

Andy

Same problem Andy, all painted over, I will have a look next time I am up the garage but its over 300kms from my home) and see if there are any about as we don't use them anymore as they do not comply with French rules re size etc

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Forum extended to all London Bus types in use during the 1950s, 60s and 70s

Thanks to the recent kind contributions above. I know several of the users of ROOF also have RTs and RFs. I am pleased to extend the scope of this forum to cover discussion of interest to the owners of all London bus types in use in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. I've altered the subtitle of the board's index page to reflect this change.

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213