ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
analogue tachograph

I'm having great difficlty finding a second hand 24volt analogue tachograph to fit to RM2213.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Many thanks, Chris

My bus number (if any): RM238, RM471 and RM2213

Re: analogue tachograph

Hi Chris,

I have been looking for one as well and have found someone who has some, they are about £100 each, shall I see if he's interested in giving a discount for 2?

If he won't then I'll pass you his details and we can both deal with him individually.

Feel free to email me.

Regards

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583 and RM1357

Can I just ask why either of you need a tachograph in the first place?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Chris Dobbing
I'm having great difficulty finding a second hand 24volt analogue tachograph to fit to RM2213.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Many thanks, Chris

Hi Chris, Eric Reid of Paisley where I take RML2271 for her MOT do analogue Tachographs, you could check to see if he does 24 volt ones. I know it may mean RM2213 temporarily returning to Scotland but if it gets the job done?

Eric's office number is: 0141 889 1263.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner)

Why a tachograph?

I'm planning to operate the bus for private hire for weddings in an attempt to mitigate the costs of an expensive hobby!

Re: Why a tachograph?

So you are going the whole hog then and applying for an operator's licence?

If you do find a supplier could you let me know, I've been meaning to fit a tacho discretely to my bus so that I can drive through France at some point.

My bus number (if any): RML2644

Chris/Brian The reason I asked why you needed a tach was because there is a lot of confusion about what buses needs one and for what use. Of course for hire work in the UK you do need one but not for to and from ralleys etc and as far as I know travelling in France unless you are carrying paying passengers. We only have a couple of tacho fitted RT buses and they were fitted for school and PCV work, which we don't do anymore, so we don't use them any more, the other buses don't have them. I would be interested to know why you think you need one for driving through France Brian.

Brian T

If you send me an email I will send you the link for a truck breaker who reckon they have got 10 or more second hand tachos in stock.

Regards,

Martin

Re: Second Hand Tachographs

Midland Truck Breakers have a number of tachgraphs available, analogue and digital, 12 and 24 volts.

I would suggest if fitting one to a Routemaster that you fit the old analogue type 24v.

I found this chap to be very helpful also sells quite a lot of Cummins C engines.

Contact Numbers -

0116 260 8253 or 07789 620549

Hi

If you must fit one of these things the modern one that is the size of a car radio and can be fitted out of the way on the roof of the cab seems the best bet rather than the old type circular ones that needed a lot of room to install, and remember the driver has to be able to see and read the the speedo head/display as well as adjust the time if needed.

English buses in France are not looked upon kindly by the French gendarmarie.

Claire

Claire

My bus number (if any): 2330 etc.

Claire Green
Hi

English buses in France are not looked upon kindly by the French gendarmarie.

Claire

Claire

Not sure where this comes from Claire, we have never had a problem with "les flicks" and you will not as long as the buses are being used legally in France ie if French owned -French registered and if visiting on UK plates carrying the paperwork and having proper insurance. If French owned buses are used professionally in France with UK plates which is what you might be referring to, that is a different matter but I can assure you, you do not need a tachograph for visiting France but you do need a 4.3 metre pole and good maps, all bridges under 4.5 metres are shown but not the trees and wires!!.

I don't recall where I read that a tacho was needed in France. It was some years ago, possibly on "the other forum", and it stuck in my mind as something that I would need if I ever wanted to drive through France.

A friend of mine runs the English speaking radio station that is set up for the duration of the LeMan 24hr race. I've seen other RM's there and thought that it might be fun to take mine out at some point as well. It's not something I'm likely to do in the immediate future, and if I did I would certainly be polling the forum advice before committing myself to such a journey.

Brian

Rob Duker took an RML and an RT to Le Mans in 2007, its a fairly easy trip being all autoroute from Calais and so no risk of bridge problems, I am sure we had a simailar conversation to this before he went.

Hi, we at Scottish Travel have one fitted to the cab roof of 2697, just to the right of the wiper switch and you would hardly know it was there. It is fitted because we are doing hires all over Scotland with it.

billy thomson
Hi, we at Scottish Travel have one fitted to the cab roof of 2697, just to the right of the wiper switch and you would hardly know it was there. It is fitted because we are doing hires all over Scotland with it.

Analogue (ie. 100mm dial) or digital?

'Cassette' type i would imagine (be it analogue or digital)

My bus number (if any): RM1414 (sort of)

The whole hog

Yes Roy, I obtained my CPC in Passenger Transport Operations in February. I wasn't expecting to be taking another whole day exam with three question papers at my age! I hope to be in business by August.

On the original subject of tachographs I have been unable to find a second hand tacho in good condition and am having a new "car radio" cassette type analog tacho installed on the cab roof as Claire Green recommended.

Tachograph

We need one as well (24v, electric driven). The ones you mentioned in which condition they are and are they tested?

Where did you get your conversion kits and for which price?

Thanks
Tonia

My bus number (if any): RML2386

Re: The whole hog

Many congratulations on passing the exam. I well remember sitting my CPC for Goods National nearly 30 years ago and the nerves accompanying it. What I recall most clearly from the study lectures, was how much easier it was for those of us with knowledge of vehicle operation and legislation to learn about the financial side, than it was for those with a business background to understand the former.
I am also quite pleased that I didn't take a Passenger CPC at the time, because any qualification gained before, I think 1984, is now no longer valid; whereas this does not apply to Goods as there was no deregulation to muddy the waters.
It may well be worth your while having a word with the local depot manager of Arriva or whoever, because the CPC qualification enables you to join one of the professional bodies in road transport. I am sure you will have seen the legals on old vehicles reading something like General Manager: Walter Snodgrass FCIT AMIMI AMIRTE.
If I recall correctly, my Tranport Manager asked none other than Roger Davies to add his name to sponsor my application to what was then the CIT.
He blushes quietly and drops his trumpet to the floor!