ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RT/ RM Window rubber for RLH window pans

I have been told by a number of sources that RT pattern window rubber is the same as that used in the RLH window pan. I have also been told that RM window rubber can also be used but has to be slightly modified by shaving it down 1mm.

Has anyone got a small off cut off the current production (COH Baines) RT rubber and a piece of the RM rubber that they can send to me, so that I can compare the two with original stuff and work out what is the best way to go!

I will pay postage costs for samples.

Jim

My bus number (if any): RLH 62

Re: RT/ RM Window rubber for RLH window pans

Hi Jim
The RT/RF/RLH rubber and the RM rubbers are "similar" in that both hold the glass in place by pressure of the rubber against an edge in the profile of the window pan and by inserting the opposite edge of the rubber inside a lip to provide tension, but reversed as the RM is glazed from the inside, but that is where the similarities stop. The RT one has a significant lip that fits over the interior window shrouds and so is quite different in its profile, I think you need that lip on the RLH but not 100% sure.

The last batch of RT rubber we got from Baines via Rob Duker was fine, the previous batch via the RT/RF Register,(not sure of the supplier), was far too soft and undersized leaving gaps on the corners. Not sure if Rob has any over from that batch, we have some of the soft suff, how much do you need?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

The Baines catalogue has an actual size cross section profile which is really useful.
Their catalogue is a must have.

The COH Baines part number is IRS 157 EP. I am prety sure its not a stock item (ctalogue will not download at the moment), but in the past this part has required a minimum orderr of around 200 metres (4 RTs worth)

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Brian/ jack

I have the printed Baines catalogue and I found the cross sectioned piece. I will have to compare it to the original London Transport rubber in the pans now.

I don't know how old this rubber is but needless to say the newest it could be is 1965 (last O/H date!).

I could do with a bus' worth so about 50-60 yards.

My bus number (if any): RLH 62