ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cummins engines

Has anyone removed or is to remove a Cummins C6 engine from a Routemaster to convert back to AEC power unit?

I have RML 2547 which had a Cummins engine which was removed prior to sale while it was in store at Wembley.

I am currently restoring the bus and think it might be easiest to put a Cummins engine back in, any info much appreciated as to where one might be found also the fluid flywheel for one.

Thanks

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Re: Cummins engines

Hi Matt,

I have a set of front and rear Cummins engine mountings foc if you need them.

Rob

http://rob-duker.fotopic.net/

My bus number (if any): RM13

Hi Rob

I do have a set from Tim Barrington's engine I bought with the engine,

Thanks

Matt

Hi...During the period Royston was on the go, Cummins phoned to say there were 2 spare engines on the shelf they wanted to be rid of....these had been built as spare units in the event of a problem with one on the Marshalls contract.I put the info forward to the committee but heard no more. Cummins rep stated these engines proper to routemasters only; not designed for other vehicles. Was this a fact???? Regards Ian.

My bus number (if any): RM446 and RM765

Hi Ian

I don't know much about the non turbo engines as they seem to be special to the RM's, if you have any contact details for these engines that would be very useful, I do have an engine that seized but turns ok now, so plan was to either rebuild it or get another one so I have spares.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Ian

I don't know much about the non turbo engines as they seem to be special to the RM's, if you have any contact details for these engines that would be very useful, I do have an engine that seized but turns ok now, so plan was to either rebuild it or get another one so I have spares.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt....I will not have a record of who phoned me, but the batch of 52 new engines and reconned Allison gearboxes were initially stored at Cummins Wellingborough, Northants,tel 01933 334219, prior to the conversions. The prototype RM1280 was converted there before the contract opened at Marshalls, Cambridge. Robert Ralphs UK Sales Manager showed me round; very helpful chap if you could get hold of him. The marketing manager on the project was (wait fo it!) Ms Virginia Comely!!!!! Regards Ian.

My bus number (if any): RM446 and RM765

Hi Matt,

This is a second attempt to answer you as the power went off just as I was just about to post my reply!

Assuming you still have your original gearbox fitted I would have thought your best option is to refit a Cummins C as if you fit the later Marshall refurb type Cummins you would also need the Allison Gearbox to go with it. The Cummins C is a very versitile engine with plenty of power and is more useable than the original Leylands or the AECs. Very easy to get parts, Charlie Brown, Deanfield Commercials Ltd in Clitheroe keeps Cummins C spares in stock and is also a good contact for AEC and Leyland parts as he gets parts remanufactured which are unobtainable for the AECs, his numbers are - 07946 325575 or 01200 429448.

Also there is a company called Midland Truck Breakers who have sold lots of Cummins C engines to Routemaster bus owners, I understand that these engines are out of dustcarts, their numbers are - 0116 260 8253 or 07789 620549.

Please don't think I am knocking the AEC or the Leyland engines but as you are restoring your bus to refurb spec I think the Cummins would be more suitable in your case.

Good luck with your continued restoration and hard work.

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583 and RM1357

Hi Martin

Thanks for the info, I do have a C6 I bought from Midlands Truck breakers which came from a Foden, I may sell this on as it is a turbo and conversion to non turbo might be a problem.

As I have the original gearbox that was in the bus when it had a Cummins I will most likely have to go down that route.

I'll try Deanfields for parts.

I'm aso after a fluid flywheel, someone took that off but I have the bowl, itis a Voith type one on my part seized C6 non turbo anyone got one?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt ,
I would agree with what Martin has posted . When they were refurbed , they were all rewired and set up for the engine that was fitted . 2547 had a cummins fitted before it was withdrawn ( ?) so it would be more straightforward to reinstate it if the wiring is more or less all there . Fitting an AEC/Leyland will probably mean another rewire back to an original set up . Fitting the B series will mean a lot more work , replacement gearbox (allison) , propshafts etc and probably a whole lot more wiring as this gearbox (i think) is fully automatic only .
mark 2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Yes Mark, it has been rewired for the Cummins C6 which it had until withdrawn, so that to me seems the easiest route to go down as some are going back to AEC power, they will have cab wiring panels etc replaced.

The B series I did consider as they are cheaper but again you have the problem of getting a suitable fluid flywheel for them if using the original RM box, going down the route of swapping the box for an auto and installing a B engine might be more easily done and getthe bus done quicker , but I think it would be best to try and put it back to how it was supposed to be.

Although I may opt for a pre-metroline LT livery it would only be when you lift the bonnet you'd realise it wasn't original (Without the engine running!)

A contact is trying to find out what fluid flywheels are about that might fit, the C6 seems to be very similar to a Leyalnd engine so that might yield a result.

Anyway you can see some of my handiwork at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx41/