ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top deck restoration pics

Here's some more pics now I've got the seats in!

Looking a bit more complete now

Moquette is a bit tired but will do for now, floor looks nice, I used Liberon semi-matt varnish on that

I used Peek metal polish on the seat frames which has cleaned them up a treat

hope you like them, now to start on the leftside seats!

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Re: Top deck restoration pics

Another good job well done Matt.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner)

THanks Graham

I am looking forwards to getting the outside of the bus looking this nice!

Matt

Hi Matt,

why didn´t you remove the lights? I think you should have a look behind it as it looks so much nicer and as far as I know the most buses have the original lamps behind it.

I am really impressed with your painting skills, great job!
Tonia

My bus number (if any): RML2386

Tonia it depends who did the refurbishment as to whether the original light fittings were left, on some buses the mouldings were also cut to put the transmatics in, so leaving them in situ is a cheaper option than trying to find original light fittings which are an extortionate price on Ebay but that's supply and demand for you!!.

What I could never understand was how they managed to mess up most of the front L/S grab rails. Were they fitted lower or were the mouldings fitted higher to cover the carpet which ever happened they looked awful on many buses,

If I was doing what Matt is doing I would have gone back to the maroon where possible,far less garish that that red, (I see RML 2626 for sale on EBay retains its maroon staircase, was this an Arriva feature?)but of course its up to the owners as to what period in time they want to restore to. As a matter of detail, were the seat back mouldings red? On the originals they were grey to match the backing cloth

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Brian

Generally all the depots that came in had red stairwells and seat frames. The only exception was AF (Part of Go-Ahead-London General) who spent a great deal of time and effort on presentation and kept them looking more traditional than most, I believe 2626 was one of these from memory.

Steve

Steve Newman
Hi Brian

Generally all the depots that came in had red stairwells and seat frames. The only exception was AF (Part of Go-Ahead-London General) who spent a great deal of time and effort on presentation and kept them looking more traditional than most, I believe 2626 was one of these from memory.

Steve

That's why I was so happy to land RML2271 at the Routemaster Raffle Steve. I always preferred the deep burgundy stairwells and if I had drawn another bus, I would have been looking to restore this. Saved me some money on a few tins of paint. lol

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner)

Thanks Steve, not sure why I put Arriva when I knew full well it was an AF bus. I used to use the 11 from GM a lot before I left LUL and the UK, same owning group and their RMLs had the red stairs etc, I suppose someone thought it looked better with the grey seats :-)

PS I have sent you an E mail re RLH glazing rubber.

Ah AF, always a wish to own a Putney RM but my bus does have the chassis leg from 2745 a Putney bus! I used to work round the corner from Putney BR staion in 1983 when RM's were there.

Some of the seats I got were the original LT darker red and some the more yellow red.

As I'm painting the bus in the brighter red the seats and interior will match that, underneath the white paint was maroon type paint but I decided to carry on in white. (Old English white from HMG)

Re Transmatic lights, the downstairs transmatics were taken off and the original lights literaly ripped out so unless I re panel and pay silly money for original lights I might as well put the transmatics back in.

Anyway left hand seats to start this weekend!

Hi Tonia

They removed the original lights downstairs badly so I may just put the strip lights back on.

Glad you like the painting, I think it is nice too!

Matt

In my experience the vehicles refurbished by SYT generally had 90% of the original bulb holders left in. All the other refurb companies seemed to pull them out with a claw hammer!

Steve

I didn´t know that. What a luck ours had the most of the original lights still behind it.

I wish I could upload some pictures from our upper deck but I can´t find an upload button?

My bus number (if any): RML2386

There is a guide to doing it in the ROOF website, but I have not had any luck doing it, I believe the pictures have to be on the internet to be able to upload them. Have a look at the guide if it doesn't work maybe e-mail them to Chris Dobbing or Matt.

Brian,

You are correct. The photos have to be on your own server, website or on a photo sharing site to be able to upload.

Basically you store the photo, the bulletin board picks up the weblink to the photo and displays it like in a normal web page (this board).

My bus number (if any): RLH 62

Re: uploading pics

Re: uploading pics

Hi Tonia,

The easiest way to put pics on is to open a Flickr account on yahoo, if you have a yahoo email that is easiest.

When you put your pics on Flickr, click to select the photo you want to show on here. in a new window open the Roof forum page and choose new post.

Then to the right of your pic on the Flickr page you wil see at right a title that says
Grab the HTML
Copy and paste the code below:

In that box is a line of HTML text starting with

At the end of the html you have pasted write this end tag [/img]

This tells the computer this is the end of the data

When you preview your forum post you should see the image displayed.

You can then edit the post and write a description of the photo.

It is quite easy once you have done it a few times.

Hope that helps

Matt

Hi Jim

I use Flickr website to put the pics on and just copy the html tag and paste into a new post message on here

I start the text line with

You can then under the line of text write in descriptions of the pictures

Matt