ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Various Restoration Pictures

Just thought it might be of interest, these are some pictures taken over a period of time as we were doing 2583 up.

It was in pretty good ex-service condition before we started however as it was going to be used for private hire we felt it needed to be more presentable. It was a subject of big debate some time ago on the other channel as a lot of things aren't correct but it is an ordinary RML which is a working vehicle and the outside was done to make it look more traditional for wedding photographs. The inside was put back to how it came out of service with London General hence the burgandy staircase and seat frames etc. We did think about retrimming it in tartan and reinstalling all the original lights as most of them are still in place behind the strip lights but as it's fitted with hopper windows and various other late modifications such as advertising screens it seemed better to go with the spec we did.

We are now currently well underway with RM1357, I will post some pictures of that as time goes on.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My bus number (if any): RM2583 and RM1357

Re: Various Restoration Pictures

Hi Martin, lovely job m8! she looks good. We are about to start on the inside of 308 so have picked up some tips from your pics...

My bus number (if any): 308

Martin, can you give me a price on how much it cost to get all seat backs and cushions re-trimmed on RML2583? I would love to get this done for RML2271 at some point, with the same crushed strawberry moquette.

My bus number (if any): RML2271 (owner)

Hi Martin

You are about 40 miles from where I keep RML 2547! Nice pics, I am doing a restoration on my bus and currently doing the inside top deck.

Mine is in the same position with later parts still fitted so the idea is to make it look reasonably original but it will never be a just out of Aldenham 1966 bus.

Most people will recognise what the bus is but only a few people in every crowd might start pointing out the later parts, well until I can go back in time so to speak that will be that.

Re the flooring, I did mine the hard way, on hands and knees, using a stiff scrubbing brush panel by panel to get the dirt out of the diamond pattern floor, then with a swiss army knife, removing all the chewing gum.

Once done, I used a Polishing brush, Coarse 75mm cup brush, available from Frost Restoration to scuff of the top surface of the floor, sanding was too abrasive and damaging.

You can see my progress in pictures at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx41/

I used Liberon floor varnish semi-matt type to coat the floor, 3 coats in all. It is a time consuming job but well worth it when you see nice newly painted seat frames against a new looking floor.

Some very nice work on your bus!

Thanks

Matt

My bus number (if any): RML 2547

Thanks for the compliment Duane, I meant to meet you and Keith at Cobham as you weren't parked too far away but I don't know where the time went. It would be good to meet up with 308 as its not too far away from here. 2583 has been working in the Swansea area quite a bit this year.

Graham - I am afraid I can't help you with the cost of the seats as I recovered them all myself. This was mainly due to the fact that when I bought the bus 8 of the seats had been slashed and the bus came with a new roll of eyesdown material. Not sure I would ever want to do them as again as it was a marathon of a job! Had some help from this Mrs who made the seat covers and I stapled them on with an electric stapler which cost about £25. You could ask The Busworks or South East Coachworks, I guess it would probably cost you somewhere between 2.5k and 3k.

Matt - yes I know your not too far away, if I'm ever in your area I will give you a call or if you find yourself over our way please come and see us. As far as the floor is concerned yes I spent hours on the bottom floor with a variety of things including WD40, paint thinners, screw drivers etc. which achieved the end result but very time consuming. When doing upstairs I found the best way to do it was using a hot pressure washer with a detergent, the heat lifted the chewing gum and the detergent lifted all the grime bringing the floor back to the original colour. I also did the sides and the heater vents and the aluminium came up like new so therefore I didn't need to paint the aluminium. I am personally not going down the varnish route as I just give the bus a swill out when needed.

P.S. WD40 is a great way to remove chewing gum if it's stuck to your seats. An old bus driver told me this tip and didn't think it work until I tried it but it did! You will need to then wipe the seat with a bit of detergent after to get rid of the small of the WD40.

Photo's of 2583 drying out after thorough steam cleaning-

Photobucket

Photobucket

My bus number (if any): RM2583 and RM1357

Hi Martin

Good idea to use the steam cleaner, I think i'll do that on the lower deck when I get the bus outside for a wash off.

My floor is like new upstairs now, maybe I should put a door mat at the bottom of the staircase!

It is definately well worth the effort to do the floor and seat frames as the pictures demonstrate!

My bus number (if any): RML 2547